Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

New guy here...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Bronze Member

Re: New guy here...

Well hey y'all, I sure appreciate all the warm welcomes, support, and gratitude.

I was down there in southern Helmand Province, about +-90 miles north of the Pakistani border kickin ass and taking names.

Found out today that my 110 BA got in-- I'll be picking that up saturday morning and setting it up to shoot that afternoon.

And, that's all after my fun friday night which will involve painting my 10FP and installing a Kydex cheek riser on it. Should be lots of fun.

Pics to follow of the 110BA all set up and my 10FP painted.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you for your service to our great nation! I am glad you are home safe and hope you don't have to go back.

There are some good long-range opportunities here in VA at Quantico MCB. They hold some modified f-class matches from time to time.

Quantico Modified F-Class - w/pics!

Generally speaking, the matches are held on the Sunday of the first full weekend of the month. Drop me a PM if you're interested. Would gladly meet up with you to shoot.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:06 AM
Bronze Member

I was just talking to my roommate about potentially going up there if we have a 72 hour weekend at some point in the near future. If you wouldn't mind, just shoot me a PM with a website or some sort of contact information for the organization that runs the shoot. He is considering using a 700 SPS in .308, and I'm looking at either my Savage 10FP in .308 or my new 110BA (picking it up tonight) in .300 win mag.

Out of curiosity, what sort of power scopes are common in this sort of thing? Also, what are the dimensions of the target, or what type are they? I've never shot competition, but it is certainly something I would like to get into.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC03Grunt View Post
I was just talking to my roommate about potentially going up there if we have a 72 hour weekend at some point in the near future. If you wouldn't mind, just shoot me a PM with a website or some sort of contact information for the organization that runs the shoot. He is considering using a 700 SPS in .308, and I'm looking at either my Savage 10FP in .308 or my new 110BA (picking it up tonight) in .300 win mag.

Out of curiosity, what sort of power scopes are common in this sort of thing? Also, what are the dimensions of the target, or what type are they? I've never shot competition, but it is certainly something I would like to get into.
Here's the organization that runs the matches...

Quantico Shooting Club

check the various calendars for match dates.

As an active duty Marine, you could join the club right away and it's not expensive (us civilians need a sponsor). Although you don't need to be a member to shoot in the matches.

The modified f-class matches are very laid back and everyone is willing to give you a hand. Here are two posts that will walk you through most of the stuff you need for a match....

Maryland Shooters - View Single Post - Quantico 1st "modified"match of the season

Maryland Shooters - View Single Post - Quantico 3rd "Modified F-Class" match March 8th

In terms of optics on your rifle, I've shot 1000 yard matches with a fixed 10x scope and now I've upgraded to an MK4 6.5-20x. Probably the most important aspect of your scope is the amount of elevation you have. With a 308 you will need around 40 minutes of "up"

My 308 1k Rifle - The Evolution Continues!

308 will be one of the most common calibers on the line. Some folks shoot the 155 or 168 grain bullets. The conventional wisdom is to shoot the 175grain or heavier though. Sometimes the lighter bullets can't quite make to 1k.

F-class targets are fairly large. If I remember correctly, they are 60" square.

Don't worry if you haven't ever shot a match. These events are informal and everyone will be willing to help. Heck, if you don't have or forgot a piece of gear, someone will loan you whatever you need. I've known guys that loaned their rifles.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

USMC03Grunt, Semper Fi. Thank you for your service. 03 Groundpounder, sounds like your stationed at Camp Lejeune. I went through AI there in 70' and back there again to visit my son in 93' hadn't changed much. Where'd you go to boot camp...PI or Hollywood?

Last edited by Chas1; 07-03-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
USMC03Grunt, Semper Fi. Thank you for your service. 03 Groundpounder, sounds like your stationed at Camp Legeune. I went through AI there in 70' and back there again to visit my son in 93' hadn't changed much. Where'd you go to boot camp...PI or Hollywood?

Oh you better believe I am Hollywood all the way.

Found out some good news today-- my volunteering paid off, so me and my roommate are headed back to Afghanistan here in the next couple months.... WOO HOO!

Guess I better get to that match here soon. Right now, I am in the middle of a practice paint job on my AR-15, but will soon be hitting the Savage. As soon as I am done with that, I will be sure to check out all those links listed about the shoots. Thanks so much fellas.

And here's a peak at what my AR-15 now looks like.... well nevermind.... I have no idea how to upload pictures...
Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Bronze Member

Here's the AR and Savage 10FP I painted. I like the Savage a lot better since I kept it lighter. Thank you Krylon!