Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Long Range Encore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 05:17 PM

Long Range Encore

Hey guys, I just found the site as I am doing some research for 2 new encore projects. I've read alot of your posts on numerous topics and enjoy the great advice many of you have given. Some of you are hard on the newbies, so I'll try not to ask the same questions over and over. I have a few guns that need to be sold before the next projects begin and till then I'll read and take some free advice. Thanks again for the awesome forum.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range Encore

Hello and welcome
I had a buddy that tried a encore for a long range rifle and did not work at all
It was in 300 win mag TC replaced the barrel twice and it was still a pile.
he sold it off and got a bolt gun and has not looked back
go with a good bolt gun you will be much happier
just my 2 cents
retiredcpo
Old 12-19-2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks,
I'll post some of my groups shot with my encore rifle and muzzleloaders over the next few weeks. My custom encore muzzleloaders shot 3" groups at 300 yards and have killed alot of game this past few years. I'll try and convince a few of you guys that encores can shoot very well when built properly. Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to meeting all of you.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

Was not trying to offend in any way
I know some encores can shoot
I hjave a buddy in Iowa who uses one with a 20 ga slug barrel, 50 cal muzzle loader and a 223.]
It shoot great
but jump up the caliber and the range and things go bad
you need a better platform
just my opinion
retiredcpo
Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Long Range Encore

Welcome, nothing wrong with the encore as a hunting platform. I have had them since they came out and done just about all the tweaks possible that are reasonable.

I have three separate ones, (209x50, 20 ga slug and 300 Whisper) and I love them for what they are designed for and do.

Custom barrels and all the tweaks that Mike Bellm and Bullberry and others do have done a lot for them. However, having agreed that they are great hunting platforms, they are not and never will be great LR platforms.

They are not strong enough to take the larger more effeciant LR cartridges and take a lot of custom work to include barrels and forearm hangers etc. They cannot handle the PSI and they suffer from frame stretch in the larger cartridges. Money will never make the action stronger, eliminate frame stretch and nothing you can do about that.

Having said that, go for it and would love to see you stretch them out.

BH
Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

So your asking for help getting an Encore to shoot long range? .... At the same time your selling a 7 RUM carbon barrel that has kills out to 625 and shoots less than 1 MOA. What more do you really expect out of the encore in terms of accuracy or range?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm glad we all love the sport of shooting and hunting with a diverse range of weapons. Long range to me is established by the type and performance of each weapon used along with the skill and knowledge of the shooter and his rifle.

Most of my kills have been in the 300 to 600 yards range with mid range calibers and good optics. My muzzleloader killed several mule deer and whitetails this year with distances out to 300 yards. All were one shot and pass thru shots.

I enjoy the comments and advice so I will become better informed about new products and performance which make us all better at what we enjoy.