Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

The thread is closed

Introductions, lots of new folks here nowadays

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2005, 04:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Introductions, lots of new folks here nowadays

Hello, I too am one of the several who have forgotton passwords and had to start afresh. My name is Andy, I live in the northwest of England near to the border of Cumbria and the Lake District, which for those who don't know is a beautiful and picturesque area of our fair land. I work in "Law Enforcement", which takes up far too much of my time! I am 38 and have been married to my wife for nearly 3 years, we have a son and daughter - who is four days old. So as you may imagine I don't spend as much time as I would like shooting.
I have just one shotgun and I may as well throw that at my quarry for all the use I am with it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] However when it comes to rifles, I have a passion for accuracy and long ranges, not in the same league as goodgrouper my limit at present is 500yds. I own three custom rifles; 6.5x284, 25-06 and 22-250AI. They have been worked on in the UK by Norman Clark and Peter Jackson respectively, who both have good reputations for excellent work. I do my own bedding and stock prep and I seem to do ok. i recently entered a fly shoot at Diggle ranges in Oldham and managed to get a 2inch group and hit the fly with the 6.5x284 so I was very pleased. I would really like to do my own smith work but have neither the time or tools to attempt this at present.
In the future, I hope to enter more long range comps and also spend more time stalking the resident deer population on the various bits of land I have permission on.

This is one of the best forums I have seen to exchange and obtain knowledge from the vast quantity of excellent providers out there, long may it continue. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 10:07 PM

Captain Lafe Dunn, US Air Force F-16 instructor pilot, currently stationed at Luke AFB in Phoenix, AZ. Did a year on the wire in Korea (Osan), dropped a lot of bombs on Iraq, and after 9 years active duty, I've had enough. I'm going to Springfield, Ohio Air Guard to keep flying the "Viper" because my real, only home and family is there.

I love the Lord Jesus with all my heart because He first loved me, and realize without him I am literally just a pile of dirt, and worse: an eternal play-toy for Lucifer. Thank you, my Lord for delivering me by your suffering from so great a destruction. If you don't believe, or never had a chance to ponder it, maybe you oughta pick up a Bible and make sure you have all the facts first. It's infinitely important that you do.

LONG RANGE HUNTING: always wanted to learn how to load rifle cartridges, and finally took the time this year. What a money-eating, time consuming, incredibly frustrating, addicting, joyful habit. Dove right into the WSM/WSSM family, and the results are in the previous sentence.

Email anytime, I love to share my life's story and adventure with good people. I am an unofficial public speaker (not-for-profit), specializing in schools and churches. My country-boy fighter pilot story is pretty good, and I like giving people, especially kids, HOPE. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

lafe1@cox.net
Old 10-06-2005, 06:23 AM
Gold Member

WEll I have grown up traveling between the Houston, Tx area and our property in East Tx. Our family has deep roots in a couple of small towns up there, and we have a little over a hundered acres on which to piddle. My whole family has hunted forever, more from necessity back in the late 30's, but it spurned a love of the outdoors which has been passed down through the generations.

Myself, at 42 now, have been hunting since I was old enough to understand what SSHhhhh theres a deer meant. I can clearly remember being with my dad at just over 2 when he got a deer. and I finished it off with my stick gun. LOL. I got my first deer at 6 and started helping out with the handloading at 8 and have been going ever since. I not only hunt but fish just as hard. WE generally fish the surf in search of the inshore monsters. Personal best on the sand has only been a smallish 5' Blacktip but have hooked into several much larger ones. My love of shooting was spurred on by my dad who would spend hours and hours at the range with his old 03A3 burning up this and that load. After his passing, I pulled his rifle down and found, after a two day cleaning session, that it actually did still have lands and grooves. That thing will still shoot 3/4" groups with ease.

I got into sudo long range shooting early, as on our place, the deer came across our hay fields on their way from one set of timber to the other. I got tired of watching as the better ones would stay out 300 yds or better and I didn't have the confidence to bust a cap. Well eventually, one damn cold morning, I pulled it together and got one of them. Since that day my longest measured shot on a deer was at 285yds. Not that far compared to some shots posted here but, I have set some limits on them through the years. I have shot several that were probably further out but the results were less than gratifying. The 285yd shot was definatley my best ever deer. We had seen him the year before and I decided he was the one for the following season. When it came around the following year, my deer season lasted only 20 minutes. My hunting pardner ranged him and I simply settled the crosshair on the Sendero 7 mag. and squeezed.

However, since we have such a feral hog problem, I have resorted to them, as most of you do prarie dogs. They simply make up a great source of practice as well as a great media for testing out new loads on. One other thing is that they eat darned good too. LOL The longest laser measured shot on them has been just over 400 yds with several rifles, and my longest shot on anything was a yote out at 550, with my 25/06.

I also have a daughter who is a very accomplished hunter and shooter. She bagged her first wall mount two weeks before delivering my grandson. Truly hardcore. She has taken several yotes out past 300 yds as well as a couple of trophy deer from our place. It won't be too long till my grandson picks up the pace, as he is already capable of distinguishing tracks of different animals at 4. He has been with me and his mom on several sucessful hog shots and loves nothing more than to sit while watching any of several hunting movies and shoot the deer with his bolt scope rifle as he calls it. LOL I am looking forward to spending time in the woods with hiom in the upcoming years.

Since finding this board, I have learned a lot from the regulars as well as some of the newer folks who ask the right questions. I have also decided to extend my knowleged of long range stuff, as well as the ranges on the hogs, and ordered one of Kirby's .270 for some real fun.

I am hoping to be burning up some large quantities of powder sometime after the first of the year which will be prime time for the hogs around where I hunt. With the 800+acre cotton field being picked and cut they will be easy pickins out as far as we can hit them.

I look forward to posting up some great results as well as info on different bullets at different ranges. Look for me to be asking some repeat questions here in the next few months. I hope that I can meet up with a few of you local folks and possibly we can get together one day for some shooting or hunting somewhere. Feel free to get in touch if your interested.

If your interested in some of what we have put on the ground through the past couple of years, feel free to look through my photo's at the link under my sig.

Good shooting,

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 10-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Gold Member

Well, my name is Stephen Wyatt, and my background is similar to Mike's. I grew up in Nacogdoches, TX and I have been shooting since I was 5 and hunting since I was 6. I would have started earlier, but my older brother always talked me into staying home to watch cartoons instead of getting cold and wet hunting. After he had killed several deer and his first forked horn buck, I wised up and went myself. I started hunting with my great-grandfather's 410 for squirrels and anything else my Papaw would let me shoot. Ended up with one squirrel over about 3 years worth of hunting. (It took a while for the whole stealth thing to set in!) Then I graduated to a Ruger 44 mag carbine. I took my first deer with that. A Savage 243 lever gun was my next gun, but that gun didn't shoot for crap in my hands. My dad then gave me my first deer rifle, a Browning BLR 243. I harvested several deer over the next couple years. I started handloading with my dad at around 6 or 7 years of age. I am a math person, and handloading just seemed to fit the bill. I am still known on occasion to spend 12 hours a day in the shop just loading rounds. I now own too many guns to list, but my meat gun is a Win Model 70 .25-06. I have shot all species of shootable game in East Texas with this rifle. My newest loves are my 300 SAUMs. I have a Model 7 and a Sendero model. They have matching Zeiss 4.5-14x44mm scopes. The Model 7 will regularly place 3 140 gr Barnes X and 150 gr NAB into nice 2.2" groups at 300 yards. My Sendero will keep the 175 SMK in 0.25 MOA groups out to 535 yards.

I earned my BS in Forestry/Wildlife Management at Stephen F. Austin SU in Nacogdoches, and promptly went back to school to pursue a doctorate in Pharmacy. Currently I am in my third year of Pharmacy School, and I am counting the days to freedom and the pursuit of fine custom firearms. No women have been able to put up with my addiction to hunting, fishing and shooting habits. Someday I will find her, just not yet!

Stephen Wyatt
Houston, TX
Old 10-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Names Joe. 1 wife of 14 years. Two sons and favorite hunting buddies aged 7 and 3. My other hunting buddies that visit this forum are "Dave in Idaho" and "Gonehuntingagain" aka Big Al. I didn't start hunting 'til I was 16 when I moved from Albuquerque to north Idaho. I was a machinist for a number of years then got in a fight with a Jeep (I'm still around, the Jeep ain't) that put a stop to that. At that point I got married and moved to the Boise area of Idaho. I wasn't to keen on South West Idaho until I discovered that the deserts were full of coyotes and mule deer and the nearby mountains had loads of elk, bears and all manner of birds and the rivers support a number of ducks and geese. In short, what I thought was a lousy place to live turned out to be a hunters paradise. I got into long range hunting when my friend "Dave in Idaho" kept prodding me and teasing me for owning a "skinny barrel" rifle. He pointed out that with my newly aquired walking dissability long range hunting would save me lots of walking the hill sides. So I got a .308 and I am continuously working at learning how to make it cover the distance so the only walking I have to do is to dress out the game that is laying there waiting for me and then a leisurely packing of meat to the truck. This is where hunting buddies come in real handy.

Any way... I've been a locksmith for 9 years and have owned my own business for 4 of them. I like every aspect of the shooting sports from target shooting, reloading, shotgunning, the occasional IPSC match, teaching my boys to shoot, hunting and advanced gun maintainance (Not quite gunsmithing but when I get a lathe and a milling machine in the garage...watch out!) to sitting in cold duck blinds, working on hunting boats, building shooting accessories like gongs and benches and my most recent passtime... Riding my new 4 wheeler. 'Bout the only aspect of guns I haven't dabbled in is muzzle loading. I don't know why but it has never appealed to me. My hunting experience is quite limited due largely to a late start and being raised mostly in a large city by parents that never really did any hunting either. I have taken a few deer and one bear. We try like hell for ducks and geese but have not had consistant success there. I'm hoping to increase my time hunting upland game and I will be making better efforts on elk next year. I've nailed my share of rockchucks but have yet to get in the 500 yard club. I love calling in coyotes and have been at nearly baseball bat distance from more than a few. What a rush that is.

I also like Geocaching and playing on wave runners and camping and just being outdoors. I like good beer and good food. Oh and I used to make custom holsters for a while but I burned out on that and haven't made one for quite some time.

Blah blah blah. There is a bunch more but at 25 words per minute (Not too shabby for two finger typing.) I figure this is a great place to stop.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:30 PM
PUBLISHER

This thread is CLOSED now to encourage new members to start their own new thread.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
The thread is closed