Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

The thread is closed

Introductions, lots of new folks here nowadays

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: Introductions, lots of new folks here nowadays

Hey guys, my name is Arthur but I go by "Al." I'm turning 23 in June. I live in Birmingham, AL, Im in college at UAB, should be graduating this year, but I did not have the best discipline my first 2 years of school so I am a few years behind. Finally I figured out it was time to buckle down and start studying. I am just working after class every day at a garden center, doing their "crap work." I've been reading this site for about a year and a half. I've got the bug for it too. I usually read it for about an hour a day,lots to learn. I love all kinds of hunting and fishing but due to a lack a places to hunt I only get to dear hunt a few times a year. Places to shoot long, are pretty limited too but I try to shoot at least at 500 once a week. I own a sendero 7 ultra, and just bought a vsf 308. Both stock. I bought the ultra mag without researching enough, looked solely at ballistics and didn't consider that it would kick the hell out of me, so I just bought the 308. Great site and I appreciate all of the help I get, I hope someday I will be able to give some knowledge back to this community.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Bronze Member

Hi guys my name is John and i dont think you want to know my last name, it will be hard to read [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
34 years old, married and have a beautiful little girl 14 months old.
I was born & lived in Greece for 21 years, been here in S.C. since & i love it{always miss greece but i try to visit every 2 or 3 years.}
My english is not very good but i am working on it?
Me and my brother own two restaurants {Olympian greek & italian restaurant} and this kind of business does not give me too much free time to hunt & shoot as much as i want to.
I love to hunt, shoot, handload, & fish only when there is nothing to hunt.
I was told about this place LRH about a year ago and been reading since then,i didnt register until about a month ago, and i am glad i did.My hunting buddy {TOM}that told me about it, he is still not registered...come on man what are you waiting for? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
Well thats enough i said about me it only took me about 45 minutes to type all this i will see you later AND THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO ADMINISTRATORS AND THE REST OF YOU
JOHN THE [GREEK].
Old 04-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Well, let's see here. Pretty obvious that my name is Roy. I'm the ripe old age of 62, and that's a damn young 62. What other idiot would at that age get himself a 375 H&H in Ruger #1 and think he got a nice chuck rifle. BTW, I flat love the thing.

Like a couple of people above, I was in the Navy, one of Rickover's little boys. Retired after 5 yrs 9 months and 23 days. Those are number's I'll never forget.

The Navy screwed me on everything else so when I learned that one of the places that could send me next was Idaho. (Grew up in PA). I figured what the hey, and "put in" for it so I could say that I at least got one thing I asked for. Got here and thought I'd died and went to heaven. Been here ever since, that was 1966, except for 7 yrs in Louisiana.

Got to Idaho and had to have a 270 cause that's what O'Connor said. Cecil Dodge, at the Pocatello Gun Shop puta Douglas BBL on my Mauser action and I've been shooting that rifle ever since. Its accounted for many mule deer and one moose. I'm still trying to get that elk.

Found this board last year and decided to learn about extending the range. Right at that precise moment the bbl went to pot. Got a 27" Lilja stuck on it. Now I'm up to 650 yds on water filled milk jugs. The stresses of life go away when that jug comes apart. Good exercise too, its a 1000 yd walk to set the target and a 1000 yd walk to pick up the trash.

BTw, there must be good water here. Raised 7 children and have 6 grand children with at least 1 more on the way.

Besides the 375 I got a 338 Win to go with the last year's elk tag. Still have that damn tag.

There's a fella north of me a few hundred miles that has me about hooked on one of those "reach out and touch" rifles. One of these days...

Its a good board, great admin, and a general all around good group of folks.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

My name is Javier Moncada, 50 y/o, been maried for 26 years, have three sons, 25, 20,13. The reason my screen name is Eaglet is because <font color="blue"> God compares himself to an Eagle and if He is my father then I'm an Eaglet. Eagles only feed on fresh kill, unlike buzzards.</font>
Born in Nicaragua Central America and became a USA citizen many years ago. NRA life time member! Worked about 12 years mostly surveying in road construction for NDOT = Nevada Dept of Tranportation. Presently I'm pastoring a small congregation and do casual Work as English-Spanish interpretor for a local Hospital. My first love is God's Word. By nature I want to help people.
I have at home a 308 Ruger heavy barrel very accurate, 2 243's Rugers, 30-06 Remington, Howa 300 Winch. Mag., my best is my Remington 300 RUM with which I dream up long range shooting. Shotguns, pistols etc. Have been reloading off and on for 33 years but some times I feel like I know nothing. Went elk hunting to Idaho last year; we seen no Elk but got sorrounded by 8 wolves, my son and I.
Still in the search for my fist Elk this year we already applied for Colorado. Have been using the Internet for too many years and never liked forums. This is the first one that I remember being a member of and really enjoy it. Many folks don't understand how I can enjoy production tactical shooting being a minister, but I do! in spite of being 335 lbs [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:13 AM

hey everybody,

my name is gary and I "TEMPORARILY" live in utah. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Born and raised in N. CA this place is definitely different?!?!?! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] There is great shooting and hunting here and that makes it bearable. The name lead lobber comes from my trials with my new gun, a 6mm ackley. It is personal now. I will make this gun shoot or die trying!!!!!!!!!!! I am pretty new to long range shooting, but I am totally hooked!!! I really appreciate all the help I have recieved from some of the "old hands" here on the forum. I really appreciate the gunsmiths input as well. They are genuinely helping here and not selling anything. Kirby has gone above and beyond to help me and that says alot about him. He will get my business!! Always looking for shooting buddies in this "NO FUN ZONE" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Hi all,

My name is Matt, 37 and I'm currently living in Virginia near D.C. I do research primarily for the military trying to make semiconductors for radar systems to "reach out and touch them" a lot farther than they do now. I grew up in Michigan, went to school in Ohio and even got stationed in Ohio flying a desk for the Air Force for a few years. I'm a divorced father of two who won't move to Pennsylvania for my job because I believe kids still need two parents (she left me--her loss). I drive about 800 miles a week but I get three days to work in DC every other week so I get the kids about half the time (My boy is 14 and little girl is 8). University benefits are great (free tuition in 4 years) but I don't know if I want to be commuting for much longer. Great girlfriend who will probably be the next Mrs. Matt in the next year or so.

I'm pretty new to this forum and LR hunting. I hunted with my Dad as a kid and teenager but with football and physics in college I got out of the habit. I mostly use a Bear Alaskan compound (old but a great bow) and longbow from my Dad (I prefer the longbow). I just got my first rifle (Tikka Varmint in 308) and haven't really touched a rifle since I was 18. My grandpa started me out on his S&amp;W .357 magnum and Browning semi-auto 20-guage. I never got to shoot rifles a lot as a kid because my Dad would sell his stuff when he needed cash (he always kept the bows though). When I got divorced I decided to start back to some of the things I loved before I got married so I regularly go snowboarding, ride my motorcycle (12K miles a year) and have been improving my shooting skills and go hunting again.

I started out looking for a forum on hunting and rifles in general, but you guys just kinda sucked me in. I'm learning as I go and learn a whole lot. I also have a couple friends who are eager to get me back in the woods too. Also, as luck would have it, my Dad started hunting (after taking a break for ten years)again too. Looking to put a good number of rounds through the rifle this Spring and Summer as one of my buddies has about 600 yards of real-estate at his Dad's place we use as a range (he's drooling over a .50cal right now as we speak) which is a good start.

Anyhow, I get every other weekend to myself so I try to keep busy--and I figured out how to carry the rifle on my bike so I plan on going to a shoot or two this summer as well. Looks pretty silly, but it does the job. I have a friend who has the same setup in NC for his tactical rig.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 04-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Bronze Member

Hello gentlemen, my name is Bret, I have been married to the same 'understanding' woman for coming up on 26 years. Have 2 sons, 16 &amp; 19. They both hunt and shoot but the oldest is much more dedicated. I have hunted since I was 5-6 yrs old. Bowhunting is my passion, have gone to Colorado for 2 wks for the past 24 yrs. to persue mule deer but hunted elk last year and killed a 5x5 bull. Planning on black bear this fall. Love to hunt coyotes and feral hogs which are becoming a real problem to farmers and rancher here in OK. Just found this site about a month ago but can tell it's a great one. I have been on and around Savageshooters forum for sometime. I love Savage rifles because I have the capability to change barrels, triggers, etc. to them myself. Have three at present + various other handguns, shotguns,etc. and plan on more. Like the saying, you can't have to much fun, you can't get to many guns. I appreciate this forum and information that I have gained. I applaude the 'keepers' and appreciate their time and efforts. Good shootin' to all.