Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

The thread is closed

Introductions, lots of new folks here nowadays

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

Introductions, lots of new folks here nowadays

I thought it might be time for another go-around of introductions. We have a lot of new members and I'm getting curious.

I'll start:

Dave King
retired U. S. Navy but still working.
I'm 51 y/o but that'll change next year, I'm grey haired and somewhat grumpy. I like food and don't care too much for hard manual labor work. I'm a computer geek by trade and have a few quirks (occupational requirement).

I like to shoot long range, both target and hunting. My hunting limit is 650 yards on big game animals but varmints are not so lucky.

I've been married right at 31 years (yes, all to the same woman) and have two grown children. My son is in the U. S. Army and my daughter works for the federal government (civil service).

I mainly shoot 308 Winchester in "tactical" style rifles, I like the durability of the rifles built for hard use. I have a few other "odd" rifles around, a 375 H&H "The Monkey Blaster" (named by Ian McMurchy) and my latest (mis)adventure is a 416 Rigby perhaps to be labeled "The Retina Detacher".

I mainly hunt whitetail deer and have been known to hunt black bear, moose ("eater of twigs") and elk (wapati).

I do some reloading but mainly shoot Federal Gold Medal Match ammo through my 308's. I do reload for the 416 Rigby, at $120 USD per factory 20 it's a lot less expensive to reload for it.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Introductions, lots of new folks here nowadays

The names John in case no one guessed it (I used to go by the name Jaeger476 on this forum but I forgot the password and couldn't manage to get the new one working). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I am married with one daughter, I live and work in Northern Alberta currently as a safety officer on the construction industry.

I am 29 years old with a short military background. I used to compete and train others in traditional archery and long range marksmanship. Haven't done much training of others lately, as I barely have enough time to improve on my own skills.

I like to shoot long range tactical style rifles, handguns, the ever popular .22 caliber pea shooters. I enjoy handloading for precision rifles (I find handloading for handguns self defeating, I just can't justify spending 8 hours reloading for five minutes of shooting).

My 300 mag is currently at the gunsmith undergoing a complete upgrade from one end to the other (will provide pics and details when it comes back).

Once huntin' season comes around you can't keep me out of the bush. I hunt whitetail, mulie, moose, bear, elk... and anything else I can get a tag for.

I have to say that I have learned things from this forum that I would have never learned in a hundred years of personal research. I hope one day I can meet some of the fellas who post here as I am a big fan of their "work" ;

Thanks to everyone who has helped me in the past, I only hope I can return the favor one day.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

My name is Charlie and my screen name of "Varmint Hunter" may be a little misleading. I hunt all year round and varmints are only part of my quarry. I hunt upland birds, waterfowl, biggame, varmints, and even fish varmints on occassion.

I've run the gambit from being a dedicated shotgunner, to developing my skills with handguns (conventional and exotic), and on to precision rifle where I currently expend most of my energy. I'm also an avid bowhunter and have taken many trophy whitetails and a good bear with the bow.

I serve as a supervising officer in the Conservation Department and have spent the last 25 years protecting our environment and its natural resources. As a NYS certified instructor in Hunter Education, Bowhunter Education & Safe Boating, I spend quite a bit of time teaching. Over the years, many of my students have proven to be accomplished hunters.

I am an Endowment member of the NRA and a sustaining member in six other shooting and/or hunting related organizations. The only salvation of our great shooting heritage is the organization of its participants. I'm trying to do my part.

I have a very tolerant wife and two daughters. I don't know a single married person that spends half the time shooting & hunting that I do and is still married. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I must say that I really enjoy being a looongrange "Varmint Hunter". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Silver Member

My name is bob. I grew up in Idaho but I live and work in SW Montana right up against the Selway-Bitterroot wilderness. Idaho borders me to the south and west.

I have done everything from serving in the navy to working at a nuclear power plant to packing and guiding for several outfitters. I currently work on a 20,000 acre ranch and do some horse shoeing on the side.

I'm a bowhunter/handgun hunter/rifle hunter/anything hunter and don't buy much meat.

I got the long range bug bad and am going to look Ric Horst up one of these days for some tutoring. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Most of my guns are bone stock and I currently have a couple of projects planned/in progress for getting better accuracy - money is the only limiting factor [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I've got the same wife I had 19 yrs ago and two kids in high school - man how time flies.

Whew! I guess I got a little long winded talking about my favorite subject. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

3sixbits= 375 in case someone never heard the jingle. The name is Al. I have been guilty of being a gun nut for the entire memory of my 56 years. I have been lucky to have spent this life of mine following all disciplines of the shooting sports. Unfortunately I've lost much of the vision in my shooting eye and had to give up my first love of benchrest shooting. Oh well, that has left me to hunting, for however long the Good Lord leaves me. I have been hunting all my life and find that I never tire of it, I hunt each time as if it will be my last and savory every moment. My favorite pass time is giving kids there first .22rf rifle and teaching them how to use them. For the past 35 years I have found this giving back to be a wonderful experience. I would encourage each of you to give it a try, the returns are wonderful! I've been married to the boss for the past 30 years and I might add she has a vary fine gun collection from all the birthdays, anniversaries and holidays. I had to give up giving her fishing gear some years ago do to her complaints. Do to changing health conditions I'm now limited to using no more gun than my .375H&H's, which is not to bad as I think of them as the best all around ctg. ever made! Well enough of this, I sure enjoy this web-site as there is a lot of fine folks that stop by from time to time. I found it to be my first stop after checking e-mail, each day. So I will like to thank the fine folks that work so hard to keep it a fine place to meet and swap ideas.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

Hello,my name's Joe.Picked/appointed the name ballistic64 because my wife (of 4 yrs.,yes,I was almost a terminal bachelor)says Im always flying off the handle and 64' for the time I entered the world.Of my 41 yrs.,Ive been turning wrenches as a heavy equip.field mechanic for the last 21 of them.
Like you Dave,I dont enjoy manual labor like I used to,but I'll do just about anything to stay outdoors while I work.
I started hunting as soon as I legally could (with father,who I dont think cared all that much for hunting as much as he cared about turning his two sons onto it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).
Have always loved shooting sports,be it bowhunting,gun hunting,target shooting,plinking.Have recently taken a severe interest in long range shooting/hunting.Most hunting shots have for me have been 400 yds and under.
In the past couple months have taken the big dive and started investment of building (or having built,I should say)my first real long range gun.Decided on the 338 LM.
Have 4 boys and 1 girl (16yrs old and absolutely no interest in hunting/shooting.Believe me,Ive tried).My oldest boy will just start hunting this fall.
Most of my hunting has been in the SD region and one AZ archery elk hunt with a buddy that lives in Chino (awesome hunt,by the way).Im just getting my wife into hunting and have been trying to take very slow with her as she gets frustrated easily.
Severe varmint calling junky,although thats toned back since married.
Came across this forum somewhat by accident and havent missed a day of reading it since.Great forum and great people,what more could you want? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

My name is Jim. I picked up coyboy in CO on an elk hunt. My friend was waiting in the truck after dark, and I jogged in from about a mile out. After that he claimed I was half coyote, I don't know what the big deal was, we were only at 12,800 feet.

I'm pushing 35 and have been hunting since I was 14. No one in my imediate familly hunted, so I kind of learned from reading magazines in school, and some help from neigbors were I grew up. I've been a plumber for the last 12 years. Unfortunatly, I'm a workaholic, do alot of side jobs, but saving for a custom rig. Other than my wife and baby girl, My first passion is hunting and the second is gardening. The gardening is my stress reliver after working all day. I can come home and work more. I've been reloading for about 10 years and do most of my load tweaking in the winter months. I live on 80 acres of open land so finding time to shoot is relativly easy.

I started visiting this site last summer, and dove in this past fall. I put my harris bipod on my gun, printed a drop chart, and put it on the stock of my rem 300wm. This helped me make a one shot kill on a buck at 423 yards last fall my longest whitetail ever.

I love hunting in the mountains, I usually spend a week in CO. Last fall I spent 2 weeks, had a high country mulie tag. Then bowhunted elk for a week.
I'm also a coyote junky, usually take a trip to ND and NE every winter. I do some minor tweaking to my guns, trigger work, float and bed, ect. Definatly need to get started on a dedicated long range tack driver. Thinking heavy barreled 300wm.

This is a great site with great people.
The thread is closed