Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Howdy from TX - New here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Howdy from TX - New here

The reason I mentioned Sendaro, is your pretty much assured of out of the box accuracy. Now, with what I call the standard remys VLS included it can be a roll of the dice on out of box accuracy not to say they won't shoot decently out to several hundred yards but IMHO when you start 4-500+ yards it's likely to be a different ballgame. If so there are somethings you can do to improve accuracy and the more you do the better it should shoot assuming you have the skills to go with it. Good accuracy is about 1 moa or approx 1" groups at 100 yards, approx 2" at 200 yards and so 5" groups at 500 yards. It will take good ammo, skills and a rifle up to it. Some things that can be done to improve rifle accuracy for example are bedding the stock or go with aftermarket stock, trigger job or replacement, recrown, rebarrel, true the action and so on. Having said all that a VLS at 1/2 retail is hard to pass up and the half you saved could cover some of the cost to make any improvements if needed. I'm hoping others will share their thoughts and any reccomendations on VLS or other similar priced rigs. Keep us posted on what you eventually decide.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:29 AM

Welcome and a big Howdy from Idaho. It looks like you are off to a great start with your choise of gun. But now comes the time to concider a scope for the job. Its been said that you should spend more on the scope than the rifle, but I think there are some great choises out there in a price range that will fit your budget. Take a look at the Huskmaw that is offered on this site. But you may also want to check out the Horus Vision System 5. The Hawk seems like it may be a good fit for the Texas Brush country, as well as the times you may get a chance to come to Idaho or Wyo and try your long distance shooting skills. Take a special look at the Horus Reticales. At the bottom of the page for the Hawk there is a demo that shows just how to use the system. I think that this kind of system would be useful with quick accusition of multipel targets. This system including software for under $600. Have fun figuring out your new sport and again welcome.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the info Gunner and I sure would love to make up to Idaho or Wyo sometime to "test the skills". Haha. I've been doing a lot of research on scopes lately before I decide on one. I never really used one before. When I was in the Marine Corps we qualified at 200, 300 and 500 meters and even shot at 800 meters with the standard iron sights of the M-16A2. Well, the biggest dilemma I'm running into is what magnification power range I need. My fiance's job allows me to get certain products at up to half off so I've been looking at Bushnell and Nikon. The Bushnell Elite 3200 series 5-15x40 Mil Dot Tactical and the 7-21x40 Mil Dot Adjustable Objective are 2 that I'm considering and also the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 Mil Dot w/ 1/4 MOA High Pro Turret Kit. I just want something that I can afford and will be happy with that will consistently return to zero.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Made-In-TX, did you qual in PI or Hollywood? What was you MOS and when were you in?

USMC 70-74 PI Sgt. 5900
Old 01-01-2010, 01:39 AM

Both the Bushnell and the Nikon are trusted names and good choices. You might find this artical on long Range shooting interesting. http://demigodllc.com/articles/pract...equipment/?p=1at the bottom of page 8, the link there will take you to part two on Optics. I found the discussion on 1st focal plane interesting.
With the scopes you are looking at, I would go with the 5 x 15 or the 4 x 16 over the 7 power. When I was young and hunting in Wyo where I grew up I can remember how my older brother had a 3 X 9 and would always have the scope turned up to 9 with a shot at deer within 100ft. All he could see was hair. With your bow hunting skills I can invision some shots in the Texas brush at close range and that the 7 power would not come in to handy. The Bushnell 5 X 15 is looking at 21 feet @ 100 yards on 5X and the Nikon 14 X 16 is looking at 25.2 feet @ 100 yards on 4X, where the 7 X 21 is only looking at 13.5 feet @ 100 yards on 7X. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Havanagunner; 01-01-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Made-In-TX, did you qual in PI or Hollywood? What was you MOS and when were you in?

USMC 70-74 PI Sgt. 5900
Semper Fi Brother! I was at MCRD San Diego, out there in the desert and the mountains... Too much flat land in PI, not enough of a challenge. Haha! Just kidding. I was a 6541 - Aviation Ord Systems Tech 2001-2004
Old 01-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havanagunner View Post
Both the Bushnell and the Nikon are trusted names and good choices. You might find this artical on long Range shooting interesting. PRACTICAL LONG-RANGE RIFLE SHOOTING - PART I: THE RIFLE & GEARat the bottom of page 8, the link there will take you to part two on Optics. I found the discussion on 1st focal plane interesting.
With the scopes you are looking at, I would go with the 5 x 15 or the 4 x 16 over the 7 power. When I was young and hunting in Wyo where I grew up I can remember how my older brother had a 3 X 9 and would always have the scope turned up to 9 with a shot at deer within 100ft. All he could see was hair. With your bow hunting skills I can invision some shots in the Texas brush at close range and that the 7 power would not come in to handy. The Bushnell 5 X 15 is looking at 21 feet @ 100 yards on 5X and the Nikon 14 X 16 is looking at 25.2 feet @ 100 yards on 4X, where the 7 X 21 is only looking at 13.5 feet @ 100 yards on 7X. Hope this helps.
That definitely does help and I'm gonna read that article as soon as the Rose Parade is over. My daughter is marching in it w/ the Conroe High School Band. I've been trying to read everything I can get in front of me on scope choices and there is SO SO much to read. I'm not they type to just buy something on a whim I really like to research and make sure that I'm getting the best deal and quality for my money and needs. Again thanks a bunch!