Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Howdy from TX - New here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Howdy from TX - New here

Well, I've been a bow hunter for years and have hunted with nothing but a bow. What can I say? I love archery. My fiance wants me to get a rifle since I got invited on a rifle hunt. The only thing that sparks my interest about rifle hunting is long range.

I've been looking at a few different rifles and I think I'm gonna go with the Remington Model 700 VLS in a .308 WIN w/ a 26" heavy contoured barrel and a 12" twist. Anybody got any takes on this one? I'm here looking for advice and tips and by the way I'm not a millionaire so keep that in mind. LOL!

I look forward to what I can learn from all of the experienced guys around the forum and all of the articles available.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Re: Howdy from TX - New here

By the way, I do have experience in shooting from the Marine Corps and what my dad taught me. I'll be hunting anything from coyotes and hogs to deer and elk. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome, Glad to have you here. You mentioned long range...what yardage did you have in mind and game? Alot of folks like the Remington Sendaro.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to LRH, it is an awesome place to learn.
Just be carefull, it is very addictive
You might probably want to long range shoot and hunt with your bow from now on, there is a forum about LRH with bows!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 PM

I'll hunt up to 60 yds with my bow cuz that's the longest ethical shot I like to take but I do love it! Haha!

Keeping in mind where I would be hunting I would say that I would like to hunt at yardages up to 500+ yards but would like something that I can take out and play with at a 1/2 mile - 1000 yards or so. There aren't too many places around where I hunt to have the opportunity to take a 1000 yd shot at game. My primary game will be whitetail and hogs with an occasional elk or pronghorn hunt thrown in there.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

60 yards with a bow, I've shot one a few times just around the house for fun no hunting and it ain't easy to hit something up close let alone 60 yards...seems darn good to me. Going back to earlier post on Sendaro, based on type of shooting you mentioned the 7mmRum would be a nice choice in a Sendaro. I'm sure others will jump in and offer some good rifle/caliber suggestions.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 PM

Yeah I've been shooting archery a LONG time (most of my life). I got my first bow when I was 4 and have loved it since then. It takes a lot of practice to get to where you're comfortable taking a shot at a living animal at that distance and you feel good about it.

Anyhow... I looked at the Sendero and it's not really in my price range. I can get a REALLY awesome deal on the 700 VLS brand new for about half of retail that's why I was looking at it. Has anybody here shot this model? I was thinking of the .308WIN because of the long barrel life, availability of different types of ammo for it and the good price of that ammo. What would I need to make this rifle accurate out to 500 yards or so? Any and all opinions and advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks all.