Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Hi, new member in central PA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 PM

Hi, new member in central PA

I figured I'd join since I was finding a lot of answers here for my searches. Still going through the archives... trying not to keep re-asking the same questions. A little about me:
Retired Air Force, Airborne, intelligence collection, codebreaking, linguist/translator. Spent 16 of 20 years overseas.
I've shot out to 1,000 meters but have never taken game past 400m.
Recently started building my own guns. A couple of AR15's, re-barreled a Savage 340 (that got me hooked on Savages), re-built a Savage 10FP, then stripped a Savage 111 (30-06) to the bare action and re-built it as a .300 Win Mag (consistent 3" groups @ 500m).
I reload my own ammo, do as much of my own gun smithing as possible without a lathe (but I do have a small milling machine).
Current projects to build: A light-weight long range hunting rifle for moose/elk, a 1911 45ACP, a long-range AR10.

Cheers,
Knife
Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

Re: Hi, new member in central PA

Hi knife , your a hometown guy . I'm in Gearhartville . Jim
Old 01-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome from blair county!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 01-02-2014, 10:56 AM

Hey, neither of you are far. I'm in Morrisdale. Do either of you use the range near Allemans (?sp). Looking for a place to get out to 1,000m for this summer. Local range is only to 500m.

Knife
Old 01-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Reade Range is about 35-45 minutes from me. It's in the fallen timber area. I'm going up there in a few weeks to shoot @ 1000! Welcome to Reade Range. A guy I work with has access to 1500 - 1800 yard strip jobs, hoping to tag along next time they go!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 01-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Gold Member

I use west branch , I'm guessing that's where you go too . I've never been to Reade , I think it's the one in Allemans . I've looked through their schedule and there is not much open time for a guy to just go and shoot . there is also Ridgeway rifle range . I'm just about positive it's 1000 yds . I think I'm going to check out the range that is around Lewistown it looks to have a little more open times , than Reade , for a regular guy to go .

Welcome to Mifflin County Sportsmens Club. Lewistown, PA.

Ridgway Rifle Club Home
Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the info... Looks like Reade is still my best bet, kinda pricey though at $80 a year and only able to shoot at set ranges. I was a member before they expanded the range and it is not quite what I want. Since I work weekends, it's usually easy to get a range all to myself if I am able to get a key.