Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Hey from VA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 03:34 PM

Hey from VA

Hello from south western VA, newbie to guns here. I shot growing up but didn't get into it untill now (I'm just 18 so I've got along way to go). I was looking at getting a pistol because we've got plenty of rifles and shot guns but I went with my dad the other day shooting his pistols and a few rifles and just liked the really long range, aimed, deep breath in half out and squeeze kind of shooting better than fast point and shoot. I was saving for a pistol but now would rather spend it building a rifle. Any advice is much appriciated thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hey from VA

Welcome to Long Range Hunting. Keep saving your money as it's gonna get a little expensive along the way but you'll have a ball.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Save your money. A good rifle will cost you plenty. Although you can set up a long range rig in the neighborhood of $500. Once you get started you'll find the real price tag will easily exceed $1000.

In terms of real advice on where you might start, we'll need more info from you.

What do you want to shoot? targets? hunt (and if so, what do you want to hunt?)

Are there caliber's in which you're particularly interested?

Do you want to be able to carry the rifle in the field? or just set it up 'here' and shoot waaaay over 'there'?

This is just a start of a wonderful addiction. Come on in...the water is fine.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:52 AM

It would be nice to take it hunting if I wanted to but that is certainly not a deciding factor in anything. I have a Winchester 30-30 I hunt with now. If I hunt is just for deer. I'd really like to just shoot targets and don't need to carry it pretty much just set it up and ride a four wheeler way over there to set up a target, and shoot.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

ok - so you want to build a target type rifle. Keep the info coming....

What's your budget like?

Is there a particular rifle that you like?

What about caliber? do you want a light recoil centerfire 22 or 6mm? medium bore non-magnum (.280rem??), or do you like the magnums?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM

I like the 308 their fairley common around here with hunters and shooters and gun wise I like the Savage I've herd alot of good things about them and I like the accutrigger they come with.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

CarRamRod:
Just realized we've got two threads going. both of which are answering the same types of questions. Your "Barrel Twist?" thread has a lot more detail than is on this thread.

Anyway, your choice of a Savage, with the accutrigger in .308 is a good start. The Savage is inexpensive, accurate and a nice platform from which to start.

The .308 is a good choice in caliber. It's an accurate target round, can easily be used to hunt whitetails here in VA and the ammo is easy to find and it's fairly inexpensive.

Once you purchase your rifle you will be faced with several decisions....

Optics
Bases and rings
(my thoughts on these two options are on your other thread)

Adjust your trigger...this is the beauty of the accutrigger. I understand you can adjust it yourself.

You might want to consider changing the stock that comes with the rifle.

All of these topics are lengthy discussions by themselves.