Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Hello from Washington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

I watched your video on the LR targets thread.

Put me in. I guess it takes a bit of youth to put the fun in stuff.

Next time I come up there I'll bring the "Big Girl" and attempt to make contact and join in the festivities.

However, I think you missed way too many eggs.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

If you're looking to meet some other long-range shooters in Washington, consider shooting some prone matches. You can shoot F-class off a rest or bipod, or sling up and shoot conventional prone, even with a scope. Washington is an amazing hotbed of NRA Highpower and prone competition with a surprising number of ranges scattered around the state.

My home range is the North Central Washington gun club where we have a 600 yard target range and some sort of practice or match most months. I've also shot at Rattlesnake, which is a 1000 yard range in the Tri-Cities area, as well as at Paul Bunyan range, Machias near Lake Stevens and at the Plantation range near Bellingham.

For more info on these ranges check the Washington State Rifle and Pistol Association web page. The 2008 schedules aren't up yet, but will be posted, probably pretty soon. Home

There are also some far less formal "tactical" type matches aruond the state. We're holding one at the end of March in Wenatchee. It will be the 7th or 8th year in a row we've held the match. Lots of fun. This year it's a two-day affair, but you can shoot either Saturday, Sunday or both, it doesn't matter.

For more info on that match, and others in the Pacific Northwest, and on the West Coast in general, take a look at West Coast Tactical

A bunch of good guys there who love to shoot! We just had a 600 yard "practice" and a mini-match at Wenatchee and will be having another one in February.

A shot of me on the firing line earlier this month. We had to shovel about a foot of snow to get down to the concrete pad, but the shooting was great!

The shooting community in the Pacific Northwest is pretty darned welcoming to new shooters, and there are a lot of shooting opportunities. You'd be amazed at the skill and credentials of some of the regulars on the firing lines at matches around the state.

Regards, Guy
Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

OK, Guy, I'm going to try to make the March shoot if I'm not working!

I expect you will have to hold my hand a lot!!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Bronze Member

another washingtonian

checking in from Naches. Been shooting all my life all kinds of guns and bows. My buddy is the sniper shooting coach for the Yakima Police dept. Swat team and he and I have a shooting range about 3 min. from my house that we can reach about 1200 yards. We spend our time shooting milk jugs full of water at 1020yds. He is shooting a pretty much stock 300 winmag. and I'm shooting a 270 Allen Mag. Needless to say he has to dial a LOT more elevation to get to the jugs than I do! ha ha.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

My buddy and I both want to start getting into the local competitons, great to hear from so many local long-range shooters! I like the milk jug idea, some days (especially in gusty winds) I wish my targets were larger than eggs and clay pigeons. I've got some steel up, and can't wait for the snow to melt a bit. As far as traveling around the state to shoot, it my take a bit of convincing for my wife to buy in to it.

P.S. Awesome pic Guy! I love to see shooting pics from real shooters.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Silver Member

I grew up in Burlington and now live in Sedro Woolley (after 9 years in Vegas). I actually work down your way in Bothell. My buddy and I are getting into the long range game with Senderos in 300 Ultra. We are just starting to work out some of the kinks to get the results we want and are learning a lot along the way. We've shot at 1000 a few times in the last month (private property) and are starting to work up drop charts. Be fun to get together sometime and shoot...maybe when it warms up a bit.

Bill C
Old 01-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Silver Member

That would be awesome. I've never got to practice at 1000yds, 308's aren't a very good caliber for that, but it would be tons of fun. Once I get my 338 Lapua together, I'd like to try shooting a mile (1760yds). Once it gets a little warmer, send me a PM.