Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Hello from Washington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

Hello from Washington

I'm new here, but have been arround shooting my whole life. Helped my father and grand father reload since I can remember. Started out with 22 at 6yrs of age (just started my son out at age 5). At 9yrs of age my dad decided it was time to shoot high power rifles to prepare for hunting (got my first buck at age 10). Started shooting a 243 win out to 400yds since age 9 (texas hold over). Started experimenting with shooting 500yds at age 16 (took a nice buck at 500yds that year). Age 21 got into long range precision shooting, starting out with eggs at 500yds. Now have progressed to shooting eggs and clay pigeons out to 740yds (Steel also of course). Have been learing everything I can about improving myself and my equipment. I mostly shoot a couple 308win and 270 now but I have a 243 with the smith now, and have a 338 Lapua project in the works as well. The extreme distances you guys are shooting forced me to join, I'm hoping to target shoot at 1760yds once the Lapua Mag is finished.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:20 AM
Silver Member

Welcome!

Greetings from a fellow Washingtonian (and Snohomish county resident, for that matter). Beware this site, it's addictive and expensive!

I've been shooting most of my life also, but am new to long range... I am well into the process of jumping in with both feet (building dedicated long range rig, getting together reloading setup, etc).

Do you mind sharing (either publicly or privately) where you do your extended distance shooting around here? I'm aware of the various shooting ranges, but the distances you mention (which are what I am interested in) sound like some nice open land. Not being a native to the area (grew up in Idaho), I'm a little behind when it comes down to tracking down public land suitable for such purposes. Would appreciate any tips you can throw my way.

Anyway, welcome to the site, and enjoy!

Matt
Old 01-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Silver Member

We've got a little spot off of HWY 2 (Steven's Pass). Here's some pics
500yds

612yds

740yds

Here's a pic of my buddies 308 (left) and mine (right) ready for some fun with clay pigeons at 740yds

I've got pleanty more pics but I don't want to over do it.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:54 AM
Silver Member

Thanks!

Nice pics and looks like a nice spot. I haven't really been up that way (except driving through on a day with little visibility), I'll have to scope it out sometime. Thank you for sharing.

Matt
Old 01-13-2008, 07:05 AM
PUBLISHER

Welcome and what a great spot to shoot!

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

landcbeitner

Welcome aboard. A great post. I had no idea one do that kind of shooting over there. Those angles and shooting spot situations are pretty realistic and make for great preparation.

Hmmmm, Everett, Snohomish. I had Snoqualmie Falls Lodge waffles for breakfast yesterday. I have kids about your age in Kirkland and Samamish. The visits there a long and boring with nothing to do but watch TV. Playing with grandkids is great though.

If a could shoot a bit and meet some good folks I'd visit more often. Would a gray haired old dude work into your schedule. The weather doesn't mean squat to me, just so the target can be seen. I also think my "Big Girl" maybe could reach that far. Hittin' anything is improbable due mostly to "pilot error".:o

I think it would be nifty and greatly beneficial (read selfish) to drive 12 hours, set up for any of those shots and see if the "first" shot is in the kill zone. With witnesses, no less! Ain't that what LRH is all about. That's what I'd call real practice.

Last edited by royinidaho; 01-13-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Silver Member

Age makes no difference to me, heck if you're that much older there's likely that much more I could learn from you. My buddy and I have had guys meet us out there before (I'm a member of another long range shooting community). The only issue with our shooting spot now is snow. Sometimes I can borrow my dad's truck and get through some serious snow but my veichle, while all wheel drive, has about an 8" snow limit:(.

Gravel roads the rest of the year are a breeze!