Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Hello shooters,good to be in touch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 03:02 AM
Bronze Member

Hello shooters,good to be in touch

have been shooting a 22-243 mdlstd 1-9 twist 27" load 42gr.h414 210fed 52gr. horn.match velo.3870 -group at 100yds. .349 5 shots. useing w-w cases,had dave kiff at pacific make my reamer W/258 neck instead of a 254/256 so as not to neck turn or ream. now after 5/6 reloads necks have small cracks.any input?? thanks for the opportunity to speak with more savy shooters.location Bend Or.

Last edited by panama; 10-01-2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: forgot location
Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hello shooters,good to be in touch

Hmmmmm,

Where are the cracks?

Case mouth, neck base, or length of the neck?

Measure outside diameter of fired case. Compare to sized neck.

Cause is usually case hardening which is cause by excessive sizing. In this case that's questionable.

Annealing is probably a solution.

Or maybe one has to except it because the rifle shoots so well and no one should have every thing perfect.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Bronze Member

thanks for the reply roy, some start at the base of the neck most follow the neck to the mouth of the case. have one lot that i annealed at the 4th firing got 8 firings out of them. best load so far 44.gr.- h414-215- fed-69gr.smk-3,670fs useing rem-243 cases same load useing win. drops velo. by 50-70 fs? in weighting the cases win. are less by 5to8 gr.seems some air space in there i try to get 85 to 90 % load denst. seems less extreame spread shot to shot over the chrono. did in fact measure the sized/fired .245 /.247 which seems to be about right?thanks for the reply. just seeing if anyone else out there shoots a 22-243 mlsd.and if they are haveing this happen?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Winchester brass is lighter in weight(more volume) and harder than Remington and will take more pressure.

Winchester takes more powder for the same velocity as w/Rem brass.

Plus I can get more velocity out of Win brass which tells me they are a bit tougher than the softer Remmy stuff.

Your numbers don't indicate very much expansion after firing. A good thing.

What's the measurement after resizing? Excessive resizing could be a contributor?

I'm thinkin' J E Custom may have some thoughts on this topic. He's a seasoned rifleman with years of experience. Give him a PM as he probably hasn't picked up on this thread.

Getting that number as firings out of a case isn't unreasonable for me. I get about 6 out of mine but the primer pocket is the problem.

I'd be concerned about what gas flow does to the chamber in your situation. Not good I'd think.

The erosion ring around the firing pin hole is pretty bad. J E said it was the worst he's seen. Typical for me.