Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Hello from Oregon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 08:45 PM

Hello from Oregon

Hello all. My name is Tim and I've become addicted to shooting things at long range.....

Been lurking and reading for awhile and thought I'd finally join the group. I'm originally from Eastern Oregon but currently live on the west side of the state (unfortunately). Grew up hunting and shooting all the time as I lived on a very large ranch and had lots of friends with lots of property. Just now started getting into shooting long range (accurately anyway...). I'm just finishing up turning my favorite elk rifle into a long range hunter. It's a Remington 721 chambered in 300 H&H Mag. Topped it with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 and added M1 turrets and the TMR reticle. So far I've stretched it out to 800 yards where I can keep it on a 12" steel plate pretty well. I've already got plans rolling around to build a custom rifle in 6.5x47L so I guess I've been bitten by the bug! I need a LR rig that's a little more economical to shoot than the 300.....

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi. I'm sure I'll have a few questions as I get more into it. Seems like a great site with lots of info from people who have been there done that.

Regards,

Tim
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hello from Oregon

Welcome to LongRangeHunting Tim. That new build you're planning sounds sweet.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Well Howdy!

Bitten by the bug, eh? Sorry, it causes an infection that only gets worse.

300 H&H......Interesting. My neighbor got the bug to do some 1k yd shooting and is setting up his Win Mod 70 in 300 H&H. We'll be having some fun!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I'm headed out today to do some shooting and to play with my new HD video camera so hopefully I'll have some interesting video to share with you all this evening! Should be a fun time if nothing else, although it's rather windy this morning so far. Oh well, I guess you need to learn to shoot in the wind at some point!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

I look forward to your video...gun, bullets, targets, shooting, reloading equipment...any one of them will do, I need a fix.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:06 PM

Well, here's a couple of video's from the weekend. I was working up a new load with 168gr Berger VLD's and found a decent one using IMR 4350 that gave me a surprising velocity of 3255 with a SD of 16. That was about a 100 fps faster than I was hoping for so I was a happy camper. Had a few loaded up that I decided to shoot at longer range although I didn't have a data card on them so I was guesstimating. Never did hit the target at 756 with them....the wind was really screwing with me. Kept changing direction slightly and velocity from shot to shot. I'd hit right add windage and the wind would shift to full value and I'd hit in the same damn spot.....add windage and the wind would change and I'd hit left....minus windage, wind change hit right. Frustrating but good knowledge and good to know my current limits. Ended up switching to a known load using 185 grain Berger's and shot at the 12" target at 804 and got some hits. Just beginning with longer range shooting but having a hell of a good time with it! Oh, and I went out and bought a Kestral the next day....hopefully that will help me learn to judge the wind a bit better...along with providing more accurate atmospheric conditions.

couple of shots at 804 yards
YouTube - Title(1/2)

again at 804
YouTube - Title(2/2)

longer video showing me struggling at 756 and then shooting at 804
YouTube - long range shooting.wmv