Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Hello from Hawaii

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 05:41 AM

Hello from Hawaii

Hello to everyone at LRH!

I've been hunting bird for most of my life, but have always been interested in long range shooting and hunting.

All of my hunting has been on the Big Island where we have quite a bit of game birds (pheasant, chukar, quail, erkel, francolin, and turkey) and some decent 4 legged game (boar, goat, and sheep). Patches of brush cover most of the hunting area so shots are usually under 350 yards or so. The terrain gives opportunities for long shots, but those are usually complicated by elevation changes.

Lots of walking at altitude (7000+ft) over uneven ground so a lighter setup is a necessity.

I'm new to this and am looking to put together my first rifle setup on a very tight budget so if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to post up!

So far I'm looking at the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 for my scope and a Savage or Howa rifle. Not sure about which cartridge to look for, but I'm leaning toward .270 Win right now only because it is easy to get here.

Aloha!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hello from Hawaii

Welcome aboard. How's the weather there? I don't know about you but I am tired of winter, can't wait for spring.

Steve
Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
Welcome aboard. How's the weather there? I don't know about you but I am tired of winter, can't wait for spring.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the welcome! Weather here is nice year round. Hunting on Mauna Kea can be a bit chilly in the morning and evening during the winter months (40's) and there is an occasional bit of snow above 10,000ft. Otherwise, it is perfect conditions all the time.

Brian
Old 03-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHonu View Post
it is perfect conditions all the time.
That's just not fair.........
Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHonu View Post
Steve,

Thanks for the welcome! Weather here is nice year round. Hunting on Mauna Kea can be a bit chilly in the morning and evening during the winter months (40's) and there is an occasional bit of snow above 10,000ft. Otherwise, it is perfect conditions all the time.

Brian
Brian, my comment was tongue in cheek. I have been to Maui a couple times. Seems to me you would be a great candidate for swap a hunt.

Steve