Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Hello from Fairbanks Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 AM

Hello from Fairbanks Alaska

My name is Joe and I live near Fairbanks Alaska. I have been up here for about a year. I am about to purchase my first custom long range hunting rifle and use it in going after all of the amazing game here.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hello from Fairbanks Alaska

Welcome,

What rifle are you getting? Or are you just trying to make up your mind?

Tell us more. Where you able to hunt last fall? etc etc etc

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 AM
PUBLISHER

Pretty cool place to live. Pun intended....

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 04-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Pretty cool place to live. Pun intended....

Anchorage is "cool" Fairbanks is just plain bitter cold..........

Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 AM

Miechelle is right. I am in Anchorage for the next few days. It's 30-40 degrees here and that is literally t-shirt weather for me now. It was -9 this morning in Fairbanks. The coldest it got at the house this winter was -51. I went outside to get something out of the truck and my skin started to freeze.

About the rifle, I think that I am going to have Chris Mathews of LongShot Rifles build me a 7mm. I am trying to decide between 7mm WSM and 7mm RSAUM. From what I can see, it appears that the RSAUM may be the better choice of the two but it doesn't look like it has caught on very well so I am worried that the brass is not as popular, harder to get, and of lower qualitythen the brass available for the WSM. What do you all think?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1911 View Post
Miechelle is right. I am in Anchorage for the next few days. It's 30-40 degrees here and that is literally t-shirt weather for me now. It was -9 this morning in Fairbanks. The coldest it got at the house this winter was -51. I went outside to get something out of the truck and my skin started to freeze.

About the rifle, I think that I am going to have Chris Mathews of LongShot Rifles build me a 7mm. I am trying to decide between 7mm WSM and 7mm RSAUM. From what I can see, it appears that the RSAUM may be the better choice of the two but it doesn't look like it has caught on very well so I am worried that the brass is not as popular, harder to get, and of lower qualitythen the brass available for the WSM. What do you all think?

Personaly I think on paper they are both quite alright. The wsm case will offer a bit more velocity over the sarum. The sarum will offer less recoil. Remmy brass isnt very good and winchester is decent. Better than the sarum (IMHO).

If I were in the market for a new 7mm it would be a wsm hands down due to the extra performance and better brass. Albiet I have kicked the idea around playing with the sarum.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.