Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Hello to everyone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 02:12 PM

Hello to everyone

Newbie to rifles and precision LR shooting scene. Moving from SoCal to NV where the gun climate is a bit more tolerable and lots more open spaces. Looking to get involved in LR shooting. I enjoy reloading which up to now has been for my pistol stable. I've got a Dillon 550 with an assortment of Dillon/Forrester/Redding/Lee dies. I've totally enjoyed browsing this site which is over flowing with great information. I'm a retired US Navy Test Pilot and about to retire from a second career managing software development for various DOD programs for the past 20 yrs. Besides shooting, fly fishing takes up the remainder of my time.
Colt 1911 .45 ACP
Sig 1911 Stainless .45 ACP
Sig P226 9mm
Ruger GP100 357Mag
S&W Model 41 .22 LR
Marlin 39a .22
Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hello to everyone

Hi TestPilot, Welcome to LRH and Thank you for your Service.

BigBuck
Old 05-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard.

Go Navy!!!

Good shooting and have fun!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Testpilot, Sir did you test the jets ? If so what kind and please tell us what kind of rush it must be to fly one

Thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 03:49 PM

Enlisted in the Navy in '67. Became a submarine (USS Francis Scott Key SSBN 657) reactor operator as an E-6 Electronic Technician. I was very fortunate and got selected for a commissioning program and spent 3yrs at Univ. Of Colorado, Boulder where I got a ME degree and a regular officer commission as an Ensign. I was assigned to flight school in Pensacola, FL. Got my wings in Sep 76 after finishing flight school and Carrier Qualification on the USS Lexington. Spent 3 yrs in San Diego flying on/off the West Coast carriers in the venerable C-1 Trader, a twin engine cargo plane with a total of just shy of 100 carrier landings. Following that I was assigned to Patrol Squadron 22 out of Barbers Pt, Hi for 3yrs flying the P-3b Orion ASW aircraft. We flew all over South West Asia, South Pacific, Guam, Japan, Korea, and the Indian Ocean. At the end of my tour I was selected to attend the Navy Test Pilot School at Patuxent River, Md. Enroute there I stopped in Meridan, MS to qualify in the T-2 jet trainer. 11 months later I graduated in Class 83. I stayed on at Patuxent River flying as an Engineering Test Pilot for the next two plus years. All totaled, I flown about 30 different aircraft including the A7, A6, T38/F5, F14, S3B, C135, CH46, OH57, F80, Beaver and a sail plane or twoA really excellent time for me. I decided not to pursue Astronaut training in Tx. I closed out my Navy career in San Diego as the Flag Communicator for Battle Group Bravo/Commander Carrier Group 7. We made a WestPac deployment embarked in USS Kitty Hawk and several shorter deployments near Alaska and Canada embarked in USS Constellation. After I retired, I worked in San Diego in the Defense industry until 2005. At that point I moved to Huntington Beach, CA and went to work for SAIC, as an Assistant VP, Program Manager working on the very large, $14 Billion, Future Combat System Army modernization program. Im now working at a small DOD software company where things are a bit slower paced. Life is good. The biggest rush in all of that is without a doubt the carrier landings followed closely by 600kt low level (500 ft) visual navigation training (ok, really just legalized flat hatting)Im proud to be an American and glad I was able to do my part. I have the highest respect for our boys/girls walking the wall for us in Afghanistan and Iraq today.
Colt 1911 .45 ACP
Sig 1911 Stainless .45 ACP
Sig P226 9mm
Ruger GP100 357Mag
S&W Model 41 .22 LR
Marlin 39a .22
Old 05-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPilot View Post
Enlisted in the Navy in '67. Became a submarine (USS Francis Scott Key SSBN 657) reactor operator as an E-6 Electronic Technician. I was very fortunate and got selected for a commissioning program and spent 3yrs at Univ. Of Colorado, Boulder where I got a ME degree and a regular officer commission as an Ensign. I was assigned to flight school in Pensacola, FL. Got my wings in Sep 76 after finishing flight school and Carrier Qualification on the USS Lexington. Spent 3 yrs in San Diego flying on/off the West Coast carriers in the venerable C-1 Trader, a twin engine cargo plane with a total of just shy of 100 carrier landings. Following that I was assigned to Patrol Squadron 22 out of Barbers Pt, Hi for 3yrs flying the P-3b Orion ASW aircraft. We flew all over South West Asia, South Pacific, Guam, Japan, Korea, and the Indian Ocean. At the end of my tour I was selected to attend the Navy Test Pilot School at Patuxent River, Md. Enroute there I stopped in Meridan, MS to qualify in the T-2 jet trainer. 11 months later I graduated in Class 83. I stayed on at Patuxent River flying as an Engineering Test Pilot for the next two plus years. All totaled, I flown about 30 different aircraft including the A7, A6, T38/F5, F14, S3B, C135, CH46, OH57, F80, Beaver and a sail plane or twoA really excellent time for me. I decided not to pursue Astronaut training in Tx. I closed out my Navy career in San Diego as the Flag Communicator for Battle Group Bravo/Commander Carrier Group 7. We made a WestPac deployment embarked in USS Kitty Hawk and several shorter deployments near Alaska and Canada embarked in USS Constellation. After I retired, I worked in San Diego in the Defense industry until 2005. At that point I moved to Huntington Beach, CA and went to work for SAIC, as an Assistant VP, Program Manager working on the very large, $14 Billion, Future Combat System Army modernization program. Im now working at a small DOD software company where things are a bit slower paced. Life is good. The biggest rush in all of that is without a doubt the carrier landings followed closely by 600kt low level (500 ft) visual navigation training (ok, really just legalized flat hatting)Im proud to be an American and glad I was able to do my part. I have the highest respect for our boys/girls walking the wall for us in Afghanistan and Iraq today.
Thanks for the reply. I have worked in pensacola Fl and I watched the blue angles practice, several times they would fly over . My heart would race every time. I guess I qualify as a speed junky the closest thing i've ever done to that is my R-1 154 mile an hour weelie . I actually sold it probably a good thing. anyways that doesn't have nothing on what you guys do.

Most of all thank you for serving and protecting our country .

With respect,

BigBuck
Old 05-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

First off, thank you for your service to our country!
Second, welcome back to America(once youve moved from Cal.)
Third........as former test pilot moving to Nevada..........Sorry I gotta......does area 51 kick as much butt as weve been led to belive? oh, and who killed J.F.K.?.........
Just kidding, welcome aboard! I very much look forward to reading your posts.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"