Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Hello from Carlisle, PA.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

Hello from Carlisle, PA.

I'm a retired engineer. Moved here from So. Cal. in 2004. Picked up my interesting in hunting and varmint shooting after a 35 year interruption to earn a living. Shot my first ground hog 3 years ago with a .17HMR and got hooked. Now I have 5 varmint rifles (.17HMR, CZ527 .22 Hornet, CZ527 American .223, ,22-250 that I set back and rechambered last winter, and a Savage Model 10 that I rebarreled last summer), am equipping an ATV for hunting GH on some farms where I have permission to hunt.

I already had a lathe suitable for chambering rifle barrels thorugh the headstock so I taught myself to machine barrel blanks to fit and chamber them as last winter's project. That was a fun winter. Hunting with them this summer has been a whole bunch of fun.

I have to say I'm in awe of some of the long range hunting exploits documented in this forum. I can only dream of shots like that.

My goal is to drop a ground hog DRT from a cold zero as far as 300 yards this year, 400 yards in 2010, and 500 in 2011. So far, because of where I've been hunting, the longest shot was 169 yards standing off a bipod with my .223 CZ527. With the ATV I'll be able to transport a better shooting rest to locations where I can take a stand and shoot out to 450 to 500 yards over at least freshly cut alfalfa fields, and soy bean fields.

I'm definitely looking forward to my time participating in this forum.

Fitch
Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hello from Carlisle, PA.

Welcome from Elizabethtown, PA! It sounds like you will have a lot to share. Thanks for introducing yourself.

Gene
Old 08-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Welcome to the site Fitch.

I'm a few miles away from you in Harrisburg, and have a few farms that I hunt in your area.

Get in touch with me and we'll have you with a 500 yard ground hog kill before the end of the season this year!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Silver Member

Fitch,

Get in touch with Joel. He's a great guy and will point you in the right direction ;)

Gene
Old 08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
Welcome to the site Fitch.

I'm a few miles away from you in Harrisburg, and have a few farms that I hunt in your area.

Get in touch with me and we'll have you with a 500 yard ground hog kill before the end of the season this year!
I better get new 500, 400, and 300 yard zeros for my rechambered LRPV! I'll give you a shout when I get that done (hopefully later this week).

The best LR bullet I have for the LRPV is the 69g Sierra HPBT with is a match bullet but it should do the job on GH. I'll load up some 75g V-MAX for the .243 and get those zeroed "out there" as well. I belong to Shippensburg Fish and Game - real nice range only 20 minutes away from my loading bench.

Thanks
Fitch

Last edited by Fitch; 08-10-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added more info on .243 and SF&G.