Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Happy 4th from Baghdad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Happy 4th from Baghdad

I'm new to this forum, lots of links from other places lead here. My name is Jeff. I'm in the A.F. Currently in Iraq, hoping to make it back to AZ for this years' hunting season. Still looking for the best loads for my Rem 700 in .300 RUM.
My only rifle at the moment since I blew up the old Rem 760 on the range while I was at home. But, I got a new Taurus 686 .357 for close-range work.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Happy 4th from Baghdad

Glad to have you and all service men on this site. How did you blow up your gun?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Bronze Member

Jeff,

Welcome. This is a great site with tons of info. I retired from Luke AFB and still live in Surprise. Have a custom .300 RUM and good reloading data.

Thanks for what your doing and be safe.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoElk2Hunt View Post
Glad to have you and all service men on this site. How did you blow up your gun?
It didn't blow up completely, action started to lock up. Range officer said
just bang the stock on the table like we used to do with the shotguns. Got a little stiffer each time. Kept firing until I couldn't get the action to open.
Took it to a smith. He hammered it open and showed me the round with the blown out primer. The gun is older than I am, so I knew its days were numbered. If anyone knows a smith in the southwest that will work on an old Rem 760, I'd love to have it working again. From what i can tell, looks like it will require a barrel and bolt assy, worn lugs, no headspace adjustment.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF Shooter View Post
Jeff,

Welcome. This is a great site with tons of info. I retired from Luke AFB and still live in Surprise. Have a custom .300 RUM and good reloading data.

Thanks for what your doing and be safe.
I'm hoping to make it back for hunting season this year. My wife promised me reloading gear for Christmas also. So, I'll be looking for all the info I can get.