Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

After 50 Years I'm Back

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: After 50 Years I'm Back

Unless you have loaded ammo stored over a long period of time, empty brass should never go bad.

Stress is what makes brass work harden. The bullet is mostly lead with a thin copper jacket & has a different heat expansion ratio than brass does. Temperature changes will over time cause more stress around the neck, because brass will expand & contract at a different rate than the bullet, it will be cold worked every time there is a temperature change. This will cause the brass to slowly become harder. Sometimes enough to split a case neck. Working 46 years in the machine tool trade as a machinist & toolmaker, I have never seen brass become brittle just because of age age.
However I would be concerned about loaded ammo having the potential to split case necks when fired if they aren't already split.
I have at least 20 boxes of Herter's 22-250 brass left over from the mid 1970's. I plan to begin shooting loaded cartridges using this brass within the next few weeks.

If I discover I'm wrong, I will eat crow & fess up.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome back, tell us how you progress okay.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:28 PM

So far no problems. However, i did find changes in volume from the current cartridges.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 PM

Did you say .220 Swift?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

its amazing how our opinions can vary. im still using some old h570 that is
ww2 vintage. ive also had some that went bad 30 years ago.
as for brass i feel it hardens with age. ive seen new in box older brass with neck splits. annealing might be a good option. trashing might be a better option. time will tell if its good. or not.
you were one of the early 7 mag owners. the lymans were good but not nearly as popular as unertle back then.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySes23 View Post
Unless you have loaded ammo stored over a long period of time, empty brass should never go bad.

Stress is what makes brass work harden. The bullet is mostly lead with a thin copper jacket & has a different heat expansion ratio than brass does. Temperature changes will over time cause more stress around the neck, because brass will expand & contract at a different rate than the bullet, it will be cold worked every time there is a temperature change. This will cause the brass to slowly become harder. Sometimes enough to split a case neck. Working 46 years in the machine tool trade as a machinist & toolmaker, I have never seen brass become brittle just because of age age.
However I would be concerned about loaded ammo having the potential to split case necks when fired if they aren't already split.
I have at least 20 boxes of Herter's 22-250 brass left over from the mid 1970's. I plan to begin shooting loaded cartridges using this brass within the next few weeks.

If I discover I'm wrong, I will eat crow & fess up.
Here it is 3 months later. No split necks yet. I'll keep shootn' & report back if I get split necks in a few months.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySes23 View Post
Here it is 3 months later. No split necks yet. I'll keep shootn' & report back if I get split necks in a few months.
I got my first split neck after the 7th load. A few boxes were maximum loads by the book. I'll likely get more on splits the next reload. The necks on these were a little thin to begin with. .010" - .012".

Judge for yourself.

Spencer