Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

300 rum load for black bear hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 rum load for black bear hunting

The old 220 Silvertip was a good 30 caliber bullet. For me the 30's come into their own beginning at 200 grains. Currently using 200 Accubond, but there are others that will meet or beat its performance depending on how they are used. The Swift 180 is a decent bullet we never got one to blow up in a test box, even point blank. Great expansion even at longer range, but they never penetrated well for us. Flatten out nearly like a washer and stop.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
The Swift 180 is a decent bullet we never got one to blow up in a test box, even point blank. Great expansion even at longer range, but they never penetrated well for us. Flatten out nearly like a washer and stop.
Interesting. All my 30 cal 180 Swift Sciroccos blew through every bear, even shoulder on 2 of them. I've never seen what a spent Scirocco looks like.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

I sent mine to Riley (barnesuser28) awhile back when he was looking at different bullets. If he sees this maybe he'll post some pics. I don't do the picture stuff yet so I sent them to him when he was curious. If not PM him and he'll likely send you a picture. I pulled one from a BC mule deer at around 600 yards, hit twice first one a quartering toward shot mistimed the strides, slid under the off side shoulder without hitting much, turned the buck to a straight on shot, second shot actually entered the first hole, buck dropped in his tracks. Snowing, cold, etc. didn't look for the bullet. Scored the first one a miss until we were cutting meat, Checked the cape one entry hole. Couldn't do that again on a bet. 300 H&H just a hair under 3100fps if memory serves. He might have a 190 Hornady in there as well, separated jacket and core, found together, small Nevada mule deer almost broadside 50-60 yards, same rifle right at 3000fps. It always amazes me the full range of performance different folks find with the "same" product.