Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

wyoming wilderness study area's hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: wyoming wilderness study area's hunting?

It doesn't matter where the permanent address of the outfitter or guide is or whether they are a full or part time operation. All outfitters and guides operating in Wyoming must maintain a license issued through the Wyoming State Board of Outfitters & Professional Guides and those licenses are issued only for the areas requested on the application. If it is BLM or National Forest land, they are also required to show proof that they have all the permits required by the Federal Government for that assigned area. The Board has very strict rules and requires comprehensive tests be passed and that the applicants are properly insured. This year new applicants will be required to show they have passed a CPR course and if they were born after 1/1/66 they must also possess a hunter safety certificate to show they have passed an approved course in firearms safety. The law even states that there must not be more than 2 people per guide in a Wilderness area or 6 in any other areas. The only other way a nonresident hunter can go into a Wilderness area without a licensed outfitter or guide would be with a resident who applies for a temporary permit through the G&F and they can't take more than two people in any given calendar year.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Gold Member

The permit you speak of is called a resident guide license. It is easily obtained from a game warden as long as you have all the required information, name address, DOB, hunting license number, etc. I do it almost every year for some friends. The other thing to keep in mind is that the resident guide has to be in close proximity of the people he is guiding. Last year we thought we were ok being in radio contact and I had it clarified by the game warden. He told me within visual proximatey, fyi
Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

D.Camilleri---I see you live in Worland. I have some good friends there that I will be visiting again while out for deer and elk season this fall. Do you by chance know either George or Margaret McClellan? They live on Culbertson Ave., a couple blocks from Lanes Processing. George grew up there and was a Prof. at the University of PA before retiring and moving back home. They are in their late 60s.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Gold Member

Sorry, don't know them, but I do know the area. Worland is a great small town, but I live a few miles out, I am not an in town type.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Topgun, that challenge in court should win now since obviously the feds are not letting us manage wildlife within our borders such as the wolf problem the feds have our hands tied with. Can not have it both ways. Read it one way for one thing and another way in another matter. Makes perfect sense though to polititians and the government. It is a law the outfitters association got passed for obvious reasons.

Just like the similar law the outfitters association got passed in Alaska so non residents could not hunt sheep, goat and bears. Plus caribou and moose in certain areas. However a nonresident with virtually no experience with bears has to guide me with 35 years bear hunting experience teaching him how to do things. This guide the outfitter hires for me flies up for the hunt to guide me and flies back to the lower 48 after the hunt. He has no experience of the area or with bears but because he is hired by the outfitter it is legal for me to shoot a bear in his presence. Go figure.