Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Where to elk hunt in Wyoming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Where to elk hunt in Wyoming

Hi,

I have hunted elk for over 20 years in Eastern Oregon but never in Wyoming. I have the gear and now recently th time to do so. I'm not looking for a guided trip, I just wanted some advice as far as which units would be good to go to. I don't excpect anyone to give me their secret hunting spots but just a good area to look into. Like For example area 59 or 60 which is in the northwest part of Wyoming next to Yellowstone? Any advice greatly appreciated?

Thanks
Joden
Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Where to elk hunt in Wyoming

Unless you have at least one Preference Point to have a good chance at drawing a General tag that's good for about 50 units, it's not going to be much good to talk about LE units that take even more PPs to draw. Do you have any PPs?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

I don't have any pp. I guess I'm just wondering which unti would be good to hunt I. As far as elk population in the north west portion? I understand most of hose until are hard to get for several years
Thanks
Joden
Old 01-16-2014, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidersjoden View Post
I don't have any pp. I guess I'm just wondering which unti would be good to hunt I. As far as elk population in the north west portion? I understand most of hose until are hard to get for several years
Thanks
Joden
You can buy preference points on their website. I think you can buy one per year and accumulate them over time to help.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You can buy preference points on their website. I think you can buy one per year and accumulate them over time to help.

***That's correct. The application period just to buy PPs only is 7/1-9/30 and you can only buy one for each species in any calendar year. You could also pony up and buy it for each animal when you put in for the draw during the application period that's open right now for elk until 1/31 and until 3/15 for deer and antelope. The PP you would be buying is not able to be used in the drawings until the following year. As long as you don't miss buying a PP or applying for a license for that animal 2 years in a row the PPs continue to build. Miss two years in a row and they are wiped off of your account. If you buy a PP during the application period for a tag and draw that tag on your first choice they refund that PP money and you start from 0 the following year. An antelope PP costs $30, deer are $40, and elk are $50.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

I have never been, however, I want to! I have done a fair amount of research and talking to others. I guess Area 7 is a pretty good unit to hunt elk in. I am going to start buying points this year. One outfitter I was looking at was Elk, Deer, Bear & Antelope Hunting Outfitters In Wyoming | Wagonhound Land And Livestock. I'm not saying I would use them, but they had a lot of nice pictures. I would try DIY or private rancher!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
I have never been, however, I want to! I have done a fair amount of research and talking to others. I guess Area 7 is a pretty good unit to hunt elk in. I am going to start buying points this year. One outfitter I was looking at was Elk, Deer, Bear & Antelope Hunting Outfitters In Wyoming | Wagonhound Land And Livestock. I'm not saying I would use them, but they had a lot of nice pictures. I would try DIY or private rancher!

***Do you realize that ranch charges many thousands of dollars for a hunt there? It's probably the most expensive place to hunt in the state of Wyoming!