Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Wall Tent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wall Tent

Drip stove can use karosene or diesel, (diesel is WAY cheaper & redily available) you just adjust the drip flow for temp for either one. You can mix it I guess. We have started with karosene , & ended the season with diesel.
It's nice to have a heat source that's not extreme 1 way or the other, that's also constant.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

What about a Military SHA? Would that keep a 14x20, liveable. Say 3 cans of Diesel, for a 10 day hunt? Depends on the weather, of course.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

I use a military tent cover for the tent. Tough as heck.

I have a 5 man and 10 man arctic tent for sleeping and a 16x20 wall tent for a cook tent, I also have a 10x12 wall tent that fits in a big rubbermade container.

We have been using pellet stoves lately and that seems to be a pretty good deal once you figure it out and get tuned in to what pellets your stove likes. They also will burn wood.

Wood can be interesting...
Old 09-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Drip stove can use karosene or diesel, (diesel is WAY cheaper & redily available) you just adjust the drip flow for temp for either one. You can mix it I guess. We have started with karosene , & ended the season with diesel.
It's nice to have a heat source that's not extreme 1 way or the other, that's also constant.
Winmag, do they make a conversion kit? What does it drip on? rocks? Thinking I might like the option of either wood or diesel if it is posible.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Bronze Member

Drip stoves usually drip onto a slopped pan that drips it onto the burner, we had them in the army in Korea in all bldgs. All fueled with diesel. There are several small ones now for tent use, and I would use diesel myself.

" a well- armed citizenry is the first defense against tryany". Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

We switched from the wood stove to a gas stove and its night and day. You can buy the old small ones real cheap. Run the line in and your done. Beats the heck out of half froze and well done. We bought ours on craigslist for 20 bucks.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Winmag, do they make a conversion kit? What does it drip on? rocks? Thinking I might like the option of either wood or diesel if it is posible.

Thanks

Jeff
Like Jake Levi said, it drips onto a sloped piece of steel in a pan. Imagine a pony keg, with a coffee can at the bottom, where a small slightly sloped piece of steel rests in the center of the can. Now put a fancy looking piece of tin around the pony keg with louvers, & add a tank plummed into the whole thing with a pitcock for adjusting the flow.
We light newspaper, drop it into the "coffee can" then start the drip. I doubt you could burn wood in it except very small bits, & pieces in emergency. It would be a real pain to scoop the ashes too. But it could hold enough firewood to keep you alive in a blizard as a last resort. Your drip stove may not work after that, but you'd be alive to build/buy another one.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"