Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Wall Tent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Wall Tent

We have two, both 16x20, one for sleeping, one for a cook tent. Been using them for 10+ years and really love the roominess. I store one each in a HEAVY duty plastic trash can to keep out moisture and rats, etc. Be sure to set up the tent after the hunt an dry it out good, sweep it, patch it etc. Properly cared for, the investment should last a lifetime. Good luck with yours.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Years ago I was looking for something to store one of my small wall tents, I went to the local surplus store and found a large carry bag I think they called it an "A3" Bag. It worked great it was sort of square instead of round it had carry handles and it had a zipper instead of pull string. I wish they made a bigger one for my larger tents. I like that tent camping we have 4 of them now, I made them kind of cushy for my wife of course, floors, LP gas heaters so you don't have to get up in the middle of the knight, raised queen beds, fans to keep the heat even heck it almost like home.

Bob
Old 09-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Gold Member

I"ll give you a different approach to use. We have 3 wall tents that vary from 16X20 down to 10X12. I pack and store the tents in a large burlap type tarp along with their rain flys. I fold the tent up, lay it on the burlap, manty it up and that is it. It'll go on a horse or pack in a pickup.

In our area it is not uncommon to set up a tent in completely dry conditions to 7 days later you are tearing down in 2 ft of snow and the bottom foot of your sidewalls are nothing but ice. Fold it up, manty it in burlap, take it home, string it up to dry, fold it back up, manty it in your burlap, and hang it up from your manty rope. It's ready to go the next time.

The problem I have with any king of bag/sack is everything works when you are in your barn/garage but when you get out in the elements things are just too tight and a one man job turns into a 2-3 man job.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Gold Member

If anyone has a small or medium sized wall tent for sale in western Mt. I have a friend
been looking for one for awhile. Elk season is really close?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
If anyone has a small or medium sized wall tent for sale in western Mt. I have a friend
been looking for one for awhile. Elk season is really close?
There has been some on Craigs list. I posted a wanted ad and bought a new 12 x 17 Montana Canvas with aluminum frame. The girl that had had just won it at a Mule deer banquet. In the end we both won..

Jeff
Old 09-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Bronze Member

I have had a PantherPrimitives.com wall tent and loved it, they also carry stoves, there is a company in Idaho, Boise I think that makes excellent tent stoves. Just google Idaho Camp Stoves.

I have also had a Trapline.com tipi which I also loved,

now I use Packgoats and have a Eureka popup tent from Campmor, 5'10" in the center so room to stand up while dressing, my gear etc,

I have a very nice campsite now. 3 season camping is what I do now.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Silver Member

So would a diesel stove be better then a kerosene one? And does anybody know of a stove that can be diesel at night, and wood during the day? Looking at alternate fuel that will last all night. Wife hates a cold get up in the morning. We would camp a lot more, if she was comfortable.