Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Typical mulie approach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Weda

Guys has it right...

when you get tired of glassing that's about the right time to do more glassing...

always always hunt them from the top down. if you hunt them from the bottom up all you'll see are asses all day. The biggest one will be in your boots.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Gold Member

WEDA, thats funny right there!

Guy, You got it! I "USE" the other hunters myself on the refuges in MS, over the years we(hunting buddies) have learned where the deer go to get away from everyone else. We dont get to glass as these are some pretty thick places(nasties). But generally we are doing the same thing...cut him off from his hiding place or go right on in there and wait on him.....believe me opening day on these M/L hunts you aint gonna kill many in there usual feeding areas, but cutting them off from the nasties or finding places inside the nasties you can see or use a tree stand...he is doing everything to get to his hideout or Safe Place and well, just aint expecting you to be in there! BAM! Big buck down!

Nice mullie and great tip!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

Here's the country I hunt for Muleys and you have to have good optics and a long range rifle. Glass, glass and glass again. Big deep draws can be 100+ ft down so have a good game cart too, with lots of rope.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Magic....ooow-ooow, I wanna go!

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Typical mulie approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicofmt View Post

Here's the country I hunt for Muleys and you have to have good optics and a long range rifle. Glass, glass and glass again. Big deep draws can be 100+ ft down so have a good game cart too, with lots of rope.
Very similar to the area that I hunt in southern A when I am lucky enough to get drawn. The deer there are super cagey, run for miles and never stop if they see you kind of cagey. We do lots of glassing and use horses to cover ground as needed. Sure helps to have horses to pack your deer ou if your lucky enough to get one too.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: Typical mulie approach

This year's mulie was taken in a higher, more forested area, after hiking in a good distance and doing some glassing. Pre-season scouting was important too.

Regards, Guy