Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

something different

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: something different

I would suggest maybe a camping / antelope hunt for the irst year. Your success rate should be good and it is an easier hunt than a public land elk hunt. While you are there take in the country and maybe do some scouting or inquiring about a future elk hunt. Just heading off with a map of public lands looking to tag an elk might be tough. Some very fun time can be had on public lands , camping near by and hunting antelope. They are up and feeding all day and are a blast to hunt.

Jeff
Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

The period for purchasing Wyoming preference points towards next years draw begins July 1, and runs to the 30th of September. While online check next years application deadlines as they come up fast. Good Luck!

Last edited by HARPERC; 06-08-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Broz -

I'm not up for the ultimate challenge. So, taking in the outdoors and perhaps a long range poke at an antelope would be a good start.

Thanks all !!!
Richard
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

Pronghorn are a nice, vacation type hunt. Tons of public land, lots of animals, plenty of shot opportunities. Lots of places to go.

I live in Utah, and hunt Colorado a lot. For my out of state friends, I always invite them to Colorado. They have large populations of elk, mulies, and antelope. Bear are seen on most trips.

Seems like Utah is more public then private. Blows me away when I travel and can't camp and hunt anywhere I am... Texas would be like a foreign country. You might find the hunting here a little disheartening after hunting private land for a lifetime. It is very challenging and competitive. Success rates average 20% for general big game hunts.

If you get up this way, or want to come up this way, I'll be glad to help.

My hunting partner and I do horse pack hunting trips into high wilderness areas. I have to say, I wouldn't trade it for the world!