Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

So how do you get into shape???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Gold Member

Re: So how do you get into shape???

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoElk2Hunt View Post
A stair climber is what I use. Do it for 30 minutes at a time and then start using a pack while on the stair climber 50 pound bag of shot works good and when you feel good add another 50 pound bag. I live at 6500 feet so altitude does not affect me as much as someone at 1000 feet. Takes about three days for you to ge acclimated to the altitude.
What about someone living at 13 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL thats what my house sets at
Old 11-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I'm 63 and served exactly the same years with a tour in RVN but I spent three years in college going through ROTC. So 60 YO would be exactly right for an NCO who went straight from high school.

I still jog about 3 miles per day and work with enough weight to help with my bowhunting. Because wearing boots is a different than running shoes I will hike some days instead of jogging.

Welcome home brother,.. sorry for such a tarty reply. I've been out chasin' whitetails here at home. Thanks for your service and you've hit the nail straight on in your reply regarding my time served.

Stay safe out there,..

Terry Webster

Life Member NRA
RMEF Sponsoring Member
SCI Member
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
Thunder Bay Steelheaders
US Army - SGT. 1970-72 1st/327th -101st AB
Viet-Nam Veteran
Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Bronze Member

Colorado does have some nice areas of reasonable terrain, but we also have some terrain that you'll be thankful to survive. IMO your best bet is to get a general idea of what areas you'd like to go to and then order the topo maps. You can give yourself an idea of what the general terrain is like, but the only way to really know what you've got is to come to Colorado for a few days and put boots on the ground. You should spend a few days in an area before try to hunt it-- in my opinion. I don't claim to be an expert, but I know what has been helpful to me.

James
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Pls don't take this as an advice. For us senior citizen low-landers, on your first morning in difficult terrain, don't rush it despite being bushy tailed. Slowly get your heart rate up. After 30 minutes of hiking, stop to stretch. Rest of the day will come easy, so will the next day.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmuaythai View Post
Pls don't take this as an advice. For us senior citizen low-landers, on your first morning in difficult terrain, don't rush it despite being bushy tailed. Slowly get your heart rate up. After 30 minutes of hiking, stop to stretch. Rest of the day will come easy, so will the next day.
Boy,.. now ain't that the truth ! But if I might add,.. do not just decide to hit those hills without any type of exercise either !

I have a planned hunt for October, 2013 in Wyoming and my "training" has already begun. Altitude I can't do anything about till I get there and move around in it some but the rest of it,... I've got it down.

Deadline Ridge look-out,... here I come,... lol

Terry Webster

Life Member NRA
RMEF Sponsoring Member
SCI Member
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
Thunder Bay Steelheaders
US Army - SGT. 1970-72 1st/327th -101st AB
Viet-Nam Veteran
Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

I do alot of excercise at home before I go to my favorite hunting spot. Part of my job involves physical labor so that helps me stay in shape. I usually use the exercise bike more than the treadmill so I don't do as much impact training. I do a lot of training at home and have for years. If I don't run down the fence lines I can always run on roads or in pastures. When I get to hunting camp I can exercise on the road to make sure I am still in shape. I even exercise while I'm on the hill. Sounds like a lot huh? Never can be in too good of shape. I always tease my friends - you need to be careful your heart has only so many beats. "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" So I don't then. Others do worry about when their beats will stop. They shouldn't need to.

Heck where I stay when Im out is only like 70 miles from a "friend's" place.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 PM

My routine starts with 30 min of hills on the treadmill on the hardest setting, then the stair climber for 15 min again on the hardest setting. Then weight training focusing one day a week on each major muscle group. Legs, chest, core, arms, and shoulders. Also I live near the mountains and working in the hills and scouting and working outdoors in the hills help also.