Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

So how do you get into shape???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: So how do you get into shape???

Do what we used to do when I was in an eod group and what the seals do mostly now. Crossfit. 30 min a day and that's it. Google it. There are also the caveman workout, any of the mma workouts but the crossfit site is easy to start with and if you can't do some of the lifts or don't have the equipment then they have substitute exercises. These are proven. The military guys that use these workout regaments hike with much more weight in much worse conditions than most any civilian. Just my thought.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Bronze Member

Fascinating thread, wish that it had continued.

I am almost 71, cancer survivor, and trying to exercise regular, I am moving from Northern MI to NE Wa this week.

Ben didnt say how old his father is, that can make a big difference. I try to do 2 miles walking a day, and five miles on the weekends. I started after a couple weeks with a light day pack, then added 15 lbs and try to add 5-10 lbs a mos.

I also do a daily exercise routine, pushups, squats with dumbells, etc, and adding weight almost weekly, but I seriously believe that walking uphills with packs, AND a rifle is one of the best conditioners that you can do.

Would like to see some updates on this.

" a well- armed citizenry is the first defense against tryany". Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Bronze Member

Just got back from my wilderness hunt and let me tell you this...it was one tough SOB! I was the oldest on the hunt and I surprised myself as to how good I did. 6 hard days hunting plus a 30 mile horseback ride in & out. Sure I was a little sore after the ride in, but was good to go the next morning for hunting. Covered miles of riding and hiking every day, up at 4:30 AM, out all dat and back to camp usually between 8:30 & 9 PM.

I will be definately be staying in shape as it took a lot of work to get where I am now!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Bronze Member

Thats what it takes Cowboy, ya gotta do it ! The more that you do it the longer that you can do it.

" a well- armed citizenry is the first defense against tryany". Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Bronze Member

I came back from my hunt happy with my fitness perfomance during the hunt. I wish I had brough moleskin or stuff for blisters because even though I did tough it out, walking/running would have been easier and I would not have fallen so much stepping over snow-covered logs.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
Do what we used to do when I was in an eod group and what the seals do mostly now. Crossfit. 30 min a day and that's it. Google it. There are also the caveman workout, any of the mma workouts but the crossfit site is easy to start with and if you can't do some of the lifts or don't have the equipment then they have substitute exercises. These are proven. The military guys that use these workout regaments hike with much more weight in much worse conditions than most any civilian. Just my thought.
+1 on crossfit. I train by doing powerlifting, strongman, and some crossfit. Crossfit would be the best workout I could think of when getting in shape for a hunt because it helps endurance, along with physical and mental strength. Crossfit is nice too because it's a different workout everyday so it keeps your body guessing just like a sport or a big hunt would. There are plenty of crossfit sites that post their wod (workout of the day) for their followers too.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Bronze Member

This is interesting, I hadnt heard of crossfit but will check it out.

I backpack and am training some pack goats, so I guess that I will go back to my own pack and start adding weight. Here in NE Wa I have a lot of steep hills to climb and will.