Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game


Reply

So how do you get into shape???

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 96
Re: So how do you get into shape???

I addition to general fitness, I have to short-term goals.

The first is the 300/400/500 of bench/squat and DL

The second is to get a washboard stomach. A "very opinionated expert at everything on another forum said it could not happen after 40 years old." I plan to prove him wrong.

I think tomorrow night I will back down to 205 and go for 4 sets of 10. I will probably do this for 3 more weeks then change things up to a crossfit style.

I will do descending sets from 10 reps to 1 with 95 lb. I can't press 155 like in the video unless I throw a lot of leg into it and maybe 3 is my max. So, I will do:

10......1 of
  • 95 lb thrusters
  • 2x push up
  • 2x situp with abmat
  • 1x dip
  • 1x pull-up
I really like the MtnAthlete.com and MilitaryAthlete.com workouts. I used to do those for a while. I like to mix things up.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 818
Re: So how do you get into shape???

I'm a long freaking ways away from a washboard stomach and I'm still nowhere near 40 hahaha However your expert can kiss it!!! I worked out with a family friend that kicked my butt in everything we did in the gym. He did over 100 pullups in one night between our chest workouts; he can outlift me in every single workout; he has one of the best 6 packs I've ever seen and he's 61

It was honestly humiliating to get out lifted in everything,and above and beyond that have him look better too; at over 2 times my age. Oh well..... it shows you can do it

Last edited by Browninglover1; 08-07-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 82
Re: So how do you get into shape???

Well I'll weigh in with my experience. I started getting my middle aged body in shape about a year ago, mostly motivated by keeping up with my 5 year old. Started walking then walking/jogging then mostly jogging. Lost 20 pounds, felt good.
This year, anticipating deer season this fall and a mule deer hunt out west next year I really ramped up the jogging. Now I only run about 4 miles at a time, so I'm not talking long distance here. Long story short, I developed knee pain and now have a torn meniscus and bone contusion underneath that. Surgery is scheduled for Aug 12.
This injury is common amoung (young) athletes but us older guys(I'm 50) can get it by pounding our joints continually.

My advice for getting in shape is do what you do while hunting. Hike with a loaded pack. Pack it up and down the hills.

Leave the joint pounding from jogging alone. Not worth it. You can get the same results without this much risk to your joints. Even if you're fit and exercise regularly, us middle aged guys aren't 20 anymore and need to take that into account.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 AM
MHO MHO is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 580
Re: So how do you get into shape???

I live at 7400 feet so the altitude does not bother me. Starting walking UPHILL/ stair climber. Once you get your cardio built up then throw on a pack and keep increasing the weight. Start earlier than later. Make sure you hydrate a lot before hitting the mountains. It will help you with the altitude. Most important work on your cardio.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 143
Re: So how do you get into shape???

For those considering running, I strongly suggest going to a running store and dropping about $125 on running shoes. I am fairly big at 6'7" and 230 pounds and once I started buying shoes designed for my body size, the aches and pains in my joints went away.

I like to mix up running with carrying a backpack and 40 or 50 pounds. That and lifting weights 3 to 4 times per week have me in elk condition at age 45 still. Living at 6000 feet helps as well, as does high altitude fishing trips during the summer.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dolores, Colorado
Posts: 63
Re: So how do you get into shape???

Let me start out by saying that I am 69 years old, 2 time cancer survivor with a colostomy for the last 16 years! I am a former college football player whose playing weight was 235-45. I have also had a total knee replacement 8 years ago. Nuff said...

I do a walking program near my place here in SW Colorado and got serious about training about 18 months ago. I go to the gym 5 to 6 days a week and concentrate on stretching/flexibility and cardio work. Spend about 15 to 20 mins on the eliptical stairmaster and 45 to 60 on the treadmill. I use the "hill" program of various elevations at 3.5 to 4.0 mph. My walking program is done in the pm (after am gym work), usually after dinner. My route is 3.5 mile r/t and the last 1/2 is all uphill to my home, Takes about 1 to 1 1/4 hr to cover. (I also live at 6800. )

I have dropped 55# and want to lose another 10 before my September Thorofare Wyoming elk hunt. I also do some trail and cross country work. I completed a 12 mi r/t trail hike to a backcountry wilderness lake that I made in 8 hrs with an elevation gain of 3500 ft (from 8000 to 11,500).

Bottom line is it can be done, just takes time, dedication & perserverance. Oh yeah...helps to be retired with lots of time available!
__________________
Colorado Cowboy
SASS Shooter & Hunter
Rocket Scientist - Retired
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 96
Re: So how do you get into shape???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
I'm a long freaking ways away from a washboard stomach and I'm still nowhere near 40 hahaha However your expert can kiss it!!! I worked out with a family friend that kicked my butt in everything we did in the gym. He did over 100 pullups in one night between our chest workouts; he can outlift me in every single workout; he has one of the best 6 packs I've ever seen and he's 61

It was honestly humiliating to get out lifted in everything,and above and beyond that have him look better too; at over 2 times my age. Oh well..... it shows you can do it
Thank you for the encouragement. 100 pull-ups by anybody puts someone, I am just guessing here, in the top 0.00001 percent of people. The most I have ever done at once is 23. I recommend you pay close attention to this workout partner as he is doing something right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snubbie View Post
Well I'll weigh in with my experience. I started getting my middle aged body in shape about a year ago, mostly motivated by keeping up with my 5 year old. Started walking then walking/jogging then mostly jogging. Lost 20 pounds, felt good.
This year, anticipating deer season this fall and a mule deer hunt out west next year I really ramped up the jogging. Now I only run about 4 miles at a time, so I'm not talking long distance here. Long story short, I developed knee pain and now have a torn meniscus and bone contusion underneath that. Surgery is scheduled for Aug 12.
This injury is common amoung (young) athletes but us older guys(I'm 50) can get it by pounding our joints continually.

My advice for getting in shape is do what you do while hunting. Hike with a loaded pack. Pack it up and down the hills.

Leave the joint pounding from jogging alone. Not worth it. You can get the same results without this much risk to your joints. Even if you're fit and exercise regularly, us middle aged guys aren't 20 anymore and need to take that into account.
As I posted the other thread, I am hiking around with a pack during lunch and trying not to run as much. I still run but avoid endless miles upon miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHO View Post
I live at 7400 feet so the altitude does not bother me. Starting walking UPHILL/ stair climber. Once you get your cardio built up then throw on a pack and keep increasing the weight. Start earlier than later. Make sure you hydrate a lot before hitting the mountains. It will help you with the altitude. Most important work on your cardio.
I live at 6,600 but that does not make me immune from altitude sickness. I tried ascending Mount Antero a few years back. I got to within a few hundred feet of the 14,000+ summit and had to stop. I was dizzy, delirious, but still smart enough to give it up. I think lack of water/food may have contributed. I recently bought an MSR water filter from ebay to mitigate situations like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtB View Post
For those considering running, I strongly suggest going to a running store and dropping about $125 on running shoes. I am fairly big at 6'7" and 230 pounds and once I started buying shoes designed for my body size, the aches and pains in my joints went away.

I like to mix up running with carrying a backpack and 40 or 50 pounds. That and lifting weights 3 to 4 times per week have me in elk condition at age 45 still. Living at 6000 feet helps as well, as does high altitude fishing trips during the summer.
I like Nike Air Pegasus. Once I deviated away for another corrective Nike model and got shin splints for a year. I did not tie it to the shoes but another running store recommended the Pegasus again and the shin splints went away. I also lift weights and my pack currently weighs 37lb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
Let me start out by saying that I am 69 years old, 2 time cancer survivor with a colostomy for the last 16 years! I am a former college football player whose playing weight was 235-45. I have also had a total knee replacement 8 years ago. Nuff said...

I do a walking program near my place here in SW Colorado and got serious about training about 18 months ago. I go to the gym 5 to 6 days a week and concentrate on stretching/flexibility and cardio work. Spend about 15 to 20 mins on the eliptical stairmaster and 45 to 60 on the treadmill. I use the "hill" program of various elevations at 3.5 to 4.0 mph. My walking program is done in the pm (after am gym work), usually after dinner. My route is 3.5 mile r/t and the last 1/2 is all uphill to my home, Takes about 1 to 1 1/4 hr to cover. (I also live at 6800. )

I have dropped 55# and want to lose another 10 before my September Thorofare Wyoming elk hunt. I also do some trail and cross country work. I completed a 12 mi r/t trail hike to a backcountry wilderness lake that I made in 8 hrs with an elevation gain of 3500 ft (from 8000 to 11,500).

Bottom line is it can be done, just takes time, dedication & perserverance. Oh yeah...helps to be retired with lots of time available!
I hope I am as fit as you when I reach your age. Congratulations on surviving your cancer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« x bolt | Wall Tent »
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: So how do you get into shape???
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**Rem 700-7 mag with Leupold- Great shape!!! jcvibby Guns For Sale 4 09-20-2011 11:05 AM
Grip Shape? edge Equipment Discussions 5 04-06-2011 07:40 AM
Butt stock shape question royinidaho General Discussion 3 01-28-2007 09:36 AM
Pressure because of bullet shape? poon Reloading 3 04-26-2005 10:19 AM
Stock fore end shape question. Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 1 07-20-2002 03:46 PM

Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 72.95%
1,648 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 27.05%
611 Votes
Total Votes: 2,259
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC