Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

So how do you get into shape???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: So how do you get into shape???

Cool I wish I had more game to chase around my part of the world. Chasin deer can get old after a full season. BUT this year should be better I'll be chasing them from over 400yds with my new long range gun. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

i walk 5 miles 3-5 times a week . working up to running
Old 04-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Gold Member

BenY - you looking at this fall for your western mountain hunt? Many of the states have already closed their tag application period, although you can still buy an over-the-counter license & tag in some states.

I don't know what kind of condition you guys are in now, but it's certainly not too late to start preparing for a hunt this fall.

If you're not walking regularly. Start. Some jogging is good too, but high mileage or high intensity running can result in injuries, setting you back instead of moving you forward.

Some strength training is a good idea too. Particularly for the legs & back.

How do I do it? Well, I'm 55 years old, too heavy around the middle, but still a pretty strong hiker with decent endurance and strength. No, I can't hike and hunt as hard as I could 20 years ago.

I never let myself get really out of shape. Cross-country ski & snowshoe in the winter. Start hiking when the snow melts, first at lower elevations, then higher as the snow recedes. Haul out the ol' bicycle every spring, dust it off, pump up the tires and start putting in the miles. Long as I don't fall off the doggone thing, it's a fun, low-impact way to good conditioning. Don't expect to do it all on the bike though. Still need to hike, particularly uphill, particularly with a pack.

Increase the duration, load and intensity of your hiking gradually, week by week.

Hit the gym. Every day I that I work, I go to the gym. If I'm in the gym, I make myself do 30 minutes of cardio on one of those infernal torture machines. Then I work on weights for another 30 minutes or so. Some stretching is also a real good idea.

Watch the diet. This is my biggest weak point. Mama and I cook pretty well, and I enjoy a glass or two of red wine with dinner. Sigh... Yup. I just plain eat too much! So, until I change that, I'll likely never be under 200 pounds again in my life! We eat good stuff, mostly lean foods, but I'll gobble it down like I did when I was a 25 year old Marine. Hah! That was a good idea then, not now.

For me, the key is having fun. There's guys I like to work out with, and I meet them in the gym regularly. I also enjoy the heck out of cycling, skiing and hiking. That makes it fun.

Also... You can be smart about where you're going to hunt. Not all the elk and mule deer are taken up at 8,000 - 11,000' elevation... Figure out some lower altitudes, and maybe some milder country - that can be a real help. Consider a ranch hunt. Consider hiring somebody to pack you into a camp on horses... Be smart about it. A guy doesn't have to be an Olympian to hunt "out west" or I'd never get anything.

Regards, Guy
Old 04-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Wow thank you guys for all the info. I sure hope me and dad could make a hunt this year but not sure if we'll get to.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40mojo View Post
There really is no way to prepare yourself for the altitude change. 'Bout the only thing you can do is cardio cardio cardio. You have to condition your muscles to function with less O2 than they are accustomed to. Find the steapest hill you can and walk up and down briskly until you puke and then pick up the pace to a jog after tossing on a pack board with 100# strapped to it and repeat until you pass out. Do this 8 days a week.
And you're from Idaho hey? Amazing sense of humor. You had me going up to the
puke part, after that I woke up and was laughing real hard... Until you pass out... that's hilarious...

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, that was funny, and reminded me of workouts from coaches and Marines in my past...
Old 05-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

BenY,

In addition to all the good advice on getting physically in shape, you need to start doing some research on the terrain where you want to hunt. In my home state of AZ, we have some great, quality elk hunts. Problem is: it sometimes takes years to get drawn. Some of the units can be very tough, rugged hunts, but most are on open, rolling terrain. Nearly all units for elk are at 5,000 to 8,000 feet altitude. Units 2 through 10 tend to be rather flat or gently rolling hills with a few steep canyons. Generally easy to hunt once you get acclimated to the elevation. I'm sure other states have similar areas. Colorado still has some OTC elk tags. I believe west central CO has some forgiving terrain. Maybe someone from CO will chime in, Good Luck.