Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Need help choosing a side arm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need help choosing a side arm

+1 for bear spray. I carry a .357 too but the spray is the first option.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
Interesting read. I will never get to see a wild bear but if one was coming at you .
Presuming the use of a 45 handgun . What would be the best way to approach the shots needed.
Like two or three in the chest and then shoot at the head or could you even see the chest properly as it ran at you ?
Or just shoot for the head ?
I am thinking shoot at the brain but I noticed on TV that a bears head moves up and down quite a bit as it runs .
So what is the best targeting options to stay alive ?
My thought would be shoot him in the balls......

Actually, I don't believe it would matter a lot just start pulling the trigger until the magazine is empty....

Years aho I had one close encounter with a bear, on his turf BTW and I was wearing a handgun but decided instead to run like hell. I'm still here so either he was lazy or I was lucky, or both.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

I know two guys that have shot bears in self defense. Both sows that charged because they had cubs with them. Both guys shot the bear with their rifles because that was what was in their hand at the moment.

My vote goes to "honey I need to buy another pistol, in case a bear tries to get me".

If you can swing it, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 480 Ruger, 460 S&W, 500 S&W. Get a double action revolver.....reliable as can be, and all you gotta do is pull the trigger. FWIW, the 460 S&W will allow you to shoot the full power 460, the 454 casull or the dowloaded (or full power) 45 Long Colt. It's kinda big but 2" of the barrel is a compensator so it doesn't kick your arse before the bear does. The 460 round is darn near as big as a 45-70 round, and many many bear and buff were supposedly killed with the 45-70 way back before fences and roads.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

FWIW, there is a reason why the Alaskan's say to file the front site off so when you're done unloading your handgun at the CHARGING grizzly it wont hurt so bad when it shoves it up your *****.... before it kills you. Even if you could hold your composure enough to blow out the heart and lungs there is enough O2 left in the bear's brain and muscles along with all the adrenaline to totally ruin your day. That's why UDAP spray has proven to be the best way to stop or deter a bear.
Broughton fluted 5.75, 5c @ 28"
Graphite Black Cerakote
Jewell Trigger
GreyBull Precision Stock
180VLD's@3145fps. with 72.8grs. of H1000, 215m primer
Old 10-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

This is a topic that I've pondered from time to time. Some good reading can be found on John Linebaugh's website. Although Linbaugh builds large caliber revolvers, his everyday carry gun is a 45LC with a good hard cast SWC. We've used the 45 cal 270 gr SAA at 1000 fps on pigs and have driven that bullet lengthwise on a 300 pound hog. I believe large caliber with lots of frontal area is the best bet. But, as John points out, he carries a 4" S&W double action because an encounter with a bear can happen too fast to swing a rifle or cock a single action. I'd consider a 1911 with 230 gr hardball as a good second choice.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moombaskier View Post
FWIW, there is a reason why the Alaskan's say to file the front site off so when you're done unloading your handgun at the CHARGING grizzly it wont hurt so bad when it shoves it up your *****.... before it kills you. Even if you could hold your composure enough to blow out the heart and lungs there is enough O2 left in the bear's brain and muscles along with all the adrenaline to totally ruin your day. That's why UDAP spray has proven to be the best way to stop or deter a bear.
This is basically what I was thinking if it is 25 yards off and closing with a handgun . I would be trying to put a few in it's brain . If it's on top of you well stick the muzzle any place you can I guess .
The thought of sleeping in a tent in bear country gives me the creeps but I guess you got to do it .
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
This is basically what I was thinking if it is 25 yards off and closing with a handgun . I would be trying to put a few in it's brain . If it's on top of you well stick the muzzle any place you can I guess .
The thought of sleeping in a tent in bear country gives me the creeps but I guess you got to do it .
I have to say that sleeping in your car or pickup truck is no more protection than a tent. I've seen what a bear can do to a pickup truck when it wants inside and it ain't pretty.

My wife encouraged me to add the balls comment BTW.