Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Need help choosing a side arm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: Need help choosing a side arm

My only advice to you is to file the front sight off so that when the bear sticks it somewhere, it won't hurt. I hunt bears in that same country and there are a lot of grizz.
Kirk
Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 PM

If you feel comfortable carrying a big heavy gun around camp, go for it. But if your out hunting on what I presume is a rifle hunt, you already probably have a gun with you that is more powerful than any handgun on earth.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post
My only advice to you is to file the front sight off so that when the bear sticks it somewhere, it won't hurt. I hunt bears in that same country and there are a lot of grizz.
Kirk
Damn! You beat me to it. Sometimes you just can't help it! On a more serious note +1 on Arrow 1's post. I have only delt with bears while fishing and everyone carries spray, but if it gets bad someone is always on post with a 12gauge.
Broughton fluted 5.75, 5c @ 28"
Graphite Black Cerakote
Jewell Trigger
GreyBull Precision Stock
180VLD's@3145fps. with 72.8grs. of H1000, 215m primer

Last edited by moombaskier; 10-09-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 PM

If you are familiar and competent with your 1911, carry it. You could get a 10mm 1911 or a new top end for your gun. If you choose a different weapon definitely shoot it enough to get used to it before you go.
For ammo I would stay away from hollow points. On hogs I have had problems with quick expansion and minimal penetration. Use a FMJ or hardcast load, ideally a +P load. Practice with lighter loads if recoil is an issue, but carry the hot ones.
Bear spray has a pretty good track record also. Carry some along with your pistol. Options won't hurt.
Sounds like a great trip, hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post
Kirk
I like that but with a caveat...

I'd empty the entire magazine into the bear first, 9+1 then run like hell. I have a feeling that 10 rounds of 45 auto's in an agressive bullet will do some serious damage to any predator at close range......

10 holes in vital areas = serious leakage.

I would prefer my side-by-side 12 gage short barreled coach gun with 00 buck in each hole, but the 45 is a good alternative IMO.

On handguns without a CCW from Ohio west, every state has definite rules for transport, especially Illinois and you are going through Illinois. If you take a handgun, take it apart, have the ammo stored seperately and the magazine empty or the cylinder in the case of a revolver. Preferrably, have the handhun in a case with a gun lock on the trigger.

Always better to err on the side of legal. Especially in Illinois.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

Interesting read. I will never get to see a wild bear but if one was coming at you .
Presuming the use of a 45 handgun . What would be the best way to approach the shots needed.
Like two or three in the chest and then shoot at the head or could you even see the chest properly as it ran at you ?
Or just shoot for the head ?
I am thinking shoot at the brain but I noticed on TV that a bears head moves up and down quite a bit as it runs .
So what is the best targeting options to stay alive ?
Old 10-19-2012, 03:03 PM

I would take the 5.7 with the right ammunition (probably not FN) over the 45. It penetrates better, has similar energy, and makes similar wounds. You have a lot more rounds in the gun and there's less recoil, making follow-up shots easier, quicker and more numerous. I wouldn't trust either to stop a grizzly in one or two shots, so take the one you can put more rounds into it with. I's say the 5.7 has a better chance of getting to the important parts, too.

Don't use the 5.7 without really good ammo though, some of the FN stuff is very anemic.

Other good options would be a big revolver (454 Casull, 45 Long Colt, 44 Magnum), or a 1911 in 10mm or 9x23.