Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Looking for Caribou Outfitter Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: Looking for Caribou Outfitter Suggestions

drenner43

ddugre@fpq.com (Dominick)

Here is a Quebec Province guy who deals with individuals that have or had problems with outfitters and can answer questions or steer you to an area.

I have been to Quebec and hunted twice out of Kujjuacqk? hunting George river herd (very spotty) for Caribou and then twice over on the Hudson side hunting Leaf river herd out of Umiaqua. Beyond a doubt the Leaf river herd specifically Lake Minto region is thee place to go. Henry from Arctic Adventures may have got some of these camps.

Fishing is very good where ever you go up there, closes the 7th of Sept. just have to throw back. Cleo's and Northern King Black and Silver NK28's or D4's 10/12# test 6 1/2-7'spinning rod swivels and 3 or 4 #5-7 split shot to get down trolling 3' above lure.

Ptarmigan (delicious) hunting can be spotty but is a blast, allowed 35 last time I went. You only need a 20 with trap loads nothing heavy at all.

I love it up there. Be very careful as I payed for a hunt up there thee other time and never left the states. We did recover some of the funds. Thieves are everywhere up there. I'd go back tomorrow. The guy we use to go with is out of business due to the economy and the banks put him out of business. Tuttulik Outfitters. He had everything in those camps, freezers, a butcher from WV, vacuum packers, real showers, great cooks, beds with mattress...everything and unbelievable BULLS! Allowed 2. I was up there when Katrina hit here. That hurricane pushed that hot air from states here up there and it got to 82 deg! I went there twice.

I'll share all the knowledge I have if you want 7178916one six two.. I'd love to go back up. Educate yourself and read all you can.

You can go here and read the issue with Tuttulik and see my largest bull Oct 20th dated post.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforum...57258&forum=10

http://forums.bowsite.com/bstrophy/d...?trophyid=8544
Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

hello,before u book a caribou hunt I would contact the game commision of the providence u wish to hunt.I hunted blackbear in Newfoundland back in June. The caribou population seemed to be down drasticly in Labrador. These4 would be Quebec-Labador barrenground caribou. I have hunted with eskimo-inuit outfitter in Northwest Territories twice whom at that time was cheaper(2001) than Quebec. Anywhere u go caribou hunt is the best hunt.Usually u see numbers of animals but if populations are low,and u miss the main movement it can become a expensive fishing trip instead. Make sure u do alot of homework before booking a trip. good luck!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info guys. Freebore, you have a PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

I have been hunting Caribou in Alaska for the past couple of years and I would not trade it for a Canadian hunt in a million years. Last year I had a guy fly us in and it was nothing short of amazing. you are going to kill monster Caribou and you can take two of them. We fished for grayling and could have shot a ton of ptarmagin? and you can shoot the big song dogs for no extra cost. The fly in hunt costs around 2500.00 a person, you meet him at happy valley airfield. his number is 907-354-5088. PM me for the secret money saver info if your interested.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

I am also looking for a low cost & DIY hunt if practial.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

I'm booked with northern air trophies for this year so for every thing has been good. A friend hunted with them a couple times and has had good luck. Sept 7-14 i'll be in kotzebue, AK
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

I have to go Caribou hunting some day..