Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Long term planning...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long term planning...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
***I've hunted out in Wyoming most years since 1992 and if you're looking to hunt where you stated you better look real hard because there is very little accessible public land and what's there doesn't hold much of anything. You can't just look at a map like it appears you're doing and say away we go! I did that the first year I went out there in 1992 right where you stated you''re looking at going and it was a complete flop!!! PS: If you want a cheap, decent DIY antelope hunt, buy a PP this summer and then in 2015 put in for unit 27. It has a ton of public land, plenty of antelope, and some decent bucks if you get off the road and do some walking. Skip the first few days of the season and hunt the Red Hills area in the south/southeastern part just south of Antelope Creek. It has enough cover and up/down elevation for short and long range hunting and you'll be a happy camper.
Thanks for the input. I'm still in very early planning stages right now. I was mainly looking there because of seasons matching with time off available. I'll check out unit 27 too. still gathering a lot of information. Hoping to swing it so Y can head out west to scout during summer, but that depends on funds and car availability. Looks like the any antlered deer season in 27 ends right around my usual time frame, so it might be tight, but if I take off the other 3 day s I have in the week, if might just work.

Thanks to everyone who has given input, trying to figure out trip planning is a lot more work than one might think, and I was expecting it to take a lot of looking
Old 01-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emn83 View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm still in very early planning stages right now. I was mainly looking there because of seasons matching with time off available. I'll check out unit 27 too. still gathering a lot of information. Hoping to swing it so Y can head out west to scout during summer, but that depends on funds and car availability. Looks like the any antlered deer season in 27 ends right around my usual time frame, so it might be tight, but if I take off the other 3 day s I have in the week, if might just work.

Thanks to everyone who has given input, trying to figure out trip planning is a lot more work than one might think, and I was expecting it to take a lot of looking

***Unit 27 is an antelope unit and it isn't squat for deer, so don't try a deer/antelope combo there or you're wasting your deer tag money!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
***Unit 27 is an antelope unit and it isn't squat for deer, so don't try a deer/antelope combo there or you're wasting your deer tag money!
Oops. Bad editing on my part. Didnt take out the mentioning deer. If i went there it would be an antelope hunt only, probably just going single species when I go.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

Got dates figured out 10/10/15-10/18/15

Now to decide on antelope or deer for sure, and find a unit that works for my schedule......wishing I could work it the other day around, but only have 4 personal days total and this gives me 4 days for driving round trip, and 5 days in WY
Old 04-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

Definitely going for pronghorn, and the dates are set, was trying to see if I could go for this fall, but my family will be getting bigger right about the time I would be hunting, so that is a no go. I'll have 2 preference points for antelope by then, and am going to keep buying deer PPs so when that happens, I'll have some to use.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:48 PM

You need to select 4-6 states and start an application plan. Keep a file for each and every year study the latest news on each and do your applications yourself. I would recommend joining Huntin Fool for just 1 year to get you started.

It took me several years to save enough to have a set aside account for application costs. But 13 years ago I had enough and started. I apply in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and Nevada.

In 13 years I have drawn:

Nevada: 2 mule deer, antelope, Mountain goat, bull elk.

Montana: Mountain Goat

Wyoming: 2 cow tags. This state has failed me every year but this one.

Idaho: mule deer and Mountain Goat. Just received the Mountain Goat tag this week.

Nevada has the best and I mean fairest nonresident program, and my results show it.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaluk View Post
You need to select 4-6 states and start an application plan. Keep a file for each and every year study the latest news on each and do your applications yourself. I would recommend joining Huntin Fool for just 1 year to get you started.

It took me several years to save enough to have a set aside account for application costs. But 13 years ago I had enough and started. I apply in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and Nevada.

In 13 years I have drawn:

Nevada: 2 mule deer, antelope, Mountain goat, bull elk.

Montana: Mountain Goat

Wyoming: 2 cow tags. This state has failed me every year but this one.

Idaho: mule deer and Mountain Goat. Just received the Mountain Goat tag this week.

Nevada has the best and I mean fairest nonresident program, and my results show it.
Thanks for the advice. am looking at other states than Just Wyo now....deciding on where

May have to put off my trip....we're expecting our first child this november, and I'm wary about leaving my wife with a 1 yo in 2015, but who knows, she might tell me to go