Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Long term planning...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long term planning...?

Been cruising the WYO Fish and Game Website and getting ideas, and made a couple decisions and did some math.

I initially was thinking Elk or Muley, but after a ton of reading and research, I've switched gears, looking at Muley or Antelope for a first hunt. As much as I like the idea of an Elk hunt, Mulies or Antelope have just piqued my interest more for some reason.

Definitely looking DIY, just looks like a ton of fun...that and $600+ for gas and around $330 for a license, I'm thinking doing a DIY could save me some money over a guided hunt.

Depending on how thing shake out, 2014 or 2015 are looking decent for a go at it. I'll have the possibility of 7 days total to work with in 2014, and 9 days in 2015, assuming I take no personal days..

....this is just me thinking out loud, but if anyone has any ideas, please share, this MN school teacher is out of his league looking at these hunt prospects
Old 09-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

With the dicision made, the paper work starts. Information is needed, and all types. DIY hunts are rewarding. Look for public lands and walk-in's. Nat'l Forest is good for acsess, but the sage brush hills hold some big deer, just less land in areas. In the NE they open at differant times of the month. Oct 1 then Oct 15.
Figure out the where, so you can fiure out the when.
There's members across the state to give advice in "their neck of the woods."
Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowinchester View Post
With the dicision made, the paper work starts. Information is needed, and all types. DIY hunts are rewarding. Look for public lands and walk-in's. Nat'l Forest is good for acsess, but the sage brush hills hold some big deer, just less land in areas. In the NE they open at differant times of the month. Oct 1 then Oct 15.
Figure out the where, so you can fiure out the when.
There's members across the state to give advice in "their neck of the woods."
thanks for the input. right now, with very limited knowledge, I'm thinking NE or central, just a little shorter drive.....going to be printing out the hunt area map on the fish and game website and keep an open mind, see where it leads me.....not even sure where to start as far as figuring things like area. got any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

been pouring over the hunt region map tonight. Looks like, to fit my scheduling, Region Y might be my best bet for going after a Muley, assuming the season always that second half of October. The break I have is generally right around the opener, being the 17-20 this year, 18-21 last year, and roughly the same weekend in the month every year
Old 09-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

Pronghorn, get a PP now. Not much can beat a pronghorn hunt for a first or in your case, fast, hunt out west. Just thinking out loud here...you could fly out there, share a camp and or hunt with whoever and either fly home or drive back with your camp buddies. First order of business is to get the preference point. Us guys on the east side of the Mississippi aren't used to that stuff.
The out west states DNR websites take some time to filter through but that's all just part of the planning. You can absolutely do this and do it next fall. Stay after it.
You're very quickly running out of time to get Wyoming PP.

Last edited by Canvsbk; 09-26-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canvsbk View Post
Pronghorn, get a PP now. Not much can beat a pronghorn hunt for a first or in your case, fast, hunt out west. Just thinking out loud here...you could fly out there, share a camp and or hunt with whoever and either fly home or drive back with your camp buddies. First order of business is to get the preference point. Us guys on the east side of the Mississippi aren't used to that stuff.
The out west states DNR websites take some time to filter through but that's all just part of the planning. You can absolutely do this and do it next fall. Stay after it.
You're very quickly running out of time to get Wyoming PP.
thanks for thE PP timp, just nought one for antelope, already had one for deer.

starting to look at flying out...airfair is probably cheaper than gas for the truck, would just have to figure out other logistics......

.....dont know anyone near my area who wants to try a hunt, so it looks like a solo for now....

.....starting to do more internet searching for antelope areas, since I'm pretty set on y if i decide on mulies
Old 09-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

If you can afford it, do both if yopu have a week or more to hunt. PP have to be bought by the end of SEPT. Appling needs to be first part of 2014.
#102 has goats. It opens same day as deer in REG Y. There is some public land that is acssesable. Check the maps for public, and or walkin areas.