Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Long term planning...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long term planning...guided hunt?

the process has begun...just bought a WYO deer preference point......
Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long term planning...?

The other problem with planning a hunt that far out is weather. We are in a three year drought here that is effecting the mountains. Extremely dry and crispy and they closed access to some forest for about 6 weeks. The rivers are running dry and they closed irrigation early this year. The only thing saving us is we are getting much needed rain every day for the last week to 10 days. It is not enough to make up for what we have missed but hopefully it will break the drought.

Then you also have to figure in forest fires. What was a great unit last year might have a major fire through it this year. PP's for states is a great idea but don't pinpoint where you want to hunt until you put in for the tag.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Gold Member

I've been looking at calendars....

every school year i have a 4 day weekend in mid October. Looking at the Wyoming Fish and Game website, and using this year's seasons as a reference, it looks like I can plan a deer or hunt for that week/weekend, assuming patterns for seasons are similar year to year. I haven't checked out Elk seasons for that possibility, yet

as of now, I have banked up one personal day, and after this year, assuming I use none, another two, giving me a total of seven days, if I go next year. That's seven days including driving, figure at least 1, probably 2 days driving each way.

question is, is that enough time for me to get in a DIY hunt and have a reasonable shot at success?

I have one PP for deer, and am planning on buying one for elk and antelope
Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

I have been following this thread with interest.
Living in Australia I have done DIY hunts to New Mexico, Missouri and Arkansas. It is a lot of fun to do these hunts and not that expensive.
If I had been required to go on a guided hunt then I would not have gone at all and the US would have missed out on my tourist dollars.

This got me thinking as to why Americans donít head down here on their summer breaks and do DIY hunts here? Head down here in June or July and hunt our winter for Sambar stags.
Only cost an air ticket and hire car and a bit of food. License is over the counter and cheap. Same goes for hunting in NZ, itís the same thing.
This would get you out hunting when all the other blokes are sitting on their computers thinking about itÖÖ. LOL.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
I have been following this thread with interest.
Living in Australia I have done DIY hunts to New Mexico, Missouri and Arkansas. It is a lot of fun to do these hunts and not that expensive.
If I had been required to go on a guided hunt then I would not have gone at all and the US would have missed out on my tourist dollars.

This got me thinking as to why Americans donít head down here on their summer breaks and do DIY hunts here? Head down here in June or July and hunt our winter for Sambar stags.
Only cost an air ticket and hire car and a bit of food. License is over the counter and cheap. Same goes for hunting in NZ, itís the same thing.
This would get you out hunting when all the other blokes are sitting on their computers thinking about itÖÖ. LOL.
a hunt down under is on the list....would love to hunt Australia or NZ.....but i want to do an out of state hunt in this hemisphere first
Old 09-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Silver Member

About what would the cost of a plane ticket be to Australia be ?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop401 View Post
About what would the cost of a plane ticket be to Australia be ?
About $2000 round trip.....hense my planning sometjing closer to home