Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Long term planning...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Gold Member

Long term planning...?

So, Now that I'm in a relatively stable job I'm starting to do some semi-long term planning for a guided hunt...I just turned 30, and I would like to be in the position to give a hunt to myself as a 40th Birthday gift. I know it's a long time to do planning, But I figured if I get going now, I can start accumulating points so when the time comes I can have a decent chance at drawing a tag.

Here's some things I'm taking into account:
  • want either Mule Deer or Elk
  • I have a .308 that I'm confident out to 400-500 yards working it out to 600 (looking to put together a 300WINMAG but no guarantees)
  • I can ride, lived on a farm
  • No state preference, but I do like the mountains
  • anything else I have forgotten

Basically this site has forced me to realize that I need to start taking things seriously as far as getting things figured out for a hunt, if I want to ensure that I can make it work. Just kind of looking to get pointed in the right direction so I can get this ball rolling
Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long term planning...guided hunt?

A plan is always good. You said states and thats OK, but don't exclude the Canadian provinces.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

Just one note, even though I'm planning a 300 build, I'm not counting on that happening, so my .308Win would be my gun for the hunt.

just looking for some resources where I can start getting info and making a plan...want to have a plan in the next few months so I can start putting things together over the long haul.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

just a thought. I'm looking at Wyoming for mule deer....how far ahead of time would I want to start working on accumulating preference points?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emn83 View Post
just a thought. I'm looking at Wyoming for mule deer....how far ahead of time would I want to start working on accumulating preference points?
For Mule Deer CO is probably the best state. There is a guide service in Montrose, we have hunted there twice, both for elk but. They usually take around 3-4 200"+ mule deer. Go to www.campdavidoutfitting.com

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
For Mule Deer CO is probably the best state. There is a guide service in Montrose, we have hunted there twice, both for elk but. They usually take around 3-4 200"+ mule deer. Go to www.campdavidoutfitting.com
cool. I was having a hard time finding CO guides...my googling isn't up to speed today
Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Gold Member

Just a thought, but instead of waiting 10 years to go on your "dream hunt," why not save up some money and do a DIY hunt in the next year or two. By the time you wait 10 years and save up the $5,000+ that you would spend on a guide, you could have done 5+ DIY hunts. Again, just a thought, but wouldn't you rather have 5 hunts with some success than 1 hunt with success?

For example, Colorado has a ton of units that are available on an over-the-counter basis. You could hunt both mule deer AND elk in a lot of them as well...