Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

hunting problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Weda

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael A. View Post
i was thinking of a way to hunt it without animals or just a couple of pack animals i think i can get my hands on a horse or two. it is still a lot of walking. have any of you guys ever snowshoed that far before? im thinking i will have 10 days to spend up there and we are talking about walking 30 or 35 miles. i have walked 20 miles in a weekend before but it was on flat ground for the most part and with no snow. i am woundering how much harder it is to hunt in the snow. i was planning on getting snowshoes but i dont know how much easyer it is to walk with them. thanks for the help guys

and you are right roy you have to get a nother endorsement to fly a float plane.

yeah ok...

10 days in snow? Where are you gonna feed and water the horses? a couple of horses that don't have grass to feed on or water to access will take up ALL of your available packing room in the feed they will need alone. NExt question is where you'd put them all day and then all night.

How much snow are you talking? I lived in Wyo for 10 years at 6000 ft and hunted/guided up and through 10,000 ft. and there was never enough snow during the deer season to warrant snow shoes.

You are better off paying someone to drop camp you. Just by the sounds of it.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Gold Member

"You are better off paying someone to drop camp you. Just by the sounds of it."

This looks like an excellent solution to the problem. Snowshoes are most useful if there's fairly deep snow which would make ordinary walking difficult.

Nice problem for us all to work on though! Thanks, Guy
Old 02-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Gold Member

Re: hunting problem

Just being silly but, parachute in?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackiinSD View Post
Just being silly but, parachute in?
That was my thought. Then get a helicopter ride out. You could go helicopter both ways but the jump from a plane is less expensive I'm sure.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure, but I think landing aircraft in designated wilderness area is not legal in all of them. Maybe in some by permit. Livestock is always a pain, somebody usually ends up baby sitting more than hunting. Of course Roy is correct, you can always baby sit your goats with good optics if you stake them in the right place
Summertime practice runs to cache stuff, or hire the packing is a better way to go.

Last edited by HARPERC; 02-15-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Except for the snow, it sounds like a candidate for a mountain bike and trailer. I did a trip like that with a mtn bike and a Bob Yak one-wheel trailer a year and a half ago. Bike (used) and trailer cost about $500. A friend and I road up a fire road from 3,000 ft to 5,000 ft in So. Cal. Three hours up and 20 min down. Hunted for four days. We did a cache trip a month before to check out our gear.

Hunting on a mountain bike is fun. I would do that again - probably next season but in a different area. It takes some conditioning, though.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

There shouldn't be any problem with a chopper lift in and out. You can check with the USFS. Is the land state or federal?