Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Hunting pigs from blinds in South Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbrush View Post
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]
Now quit reading this, turn off your computer and get 60 of your friends to go kill 40 feral hogs today…and get them to get 60 of their friends to kill 40 feral hogs and kill…
If I was in TX or even close to it I'd do it in a heartbeat! I have had great fun shooting feral hogs. It does cost a fair amount of money and time to go. I would like to have someplace to go that didn't cost money... But then wouldn't we all.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Bronze Member

I grew up hunting in South Texas and my dad had us up in tree blinds, a 2x6 accross two branches, freezing my butt off and being told to be still and be quiet!

wasn't until the last few years hunting at a buddies place in central Texas (I am in Austin) that I first experienced hunting near a feeder.. not thrilled with it cause they are ultra easy 100 yard shots... but, when in Rome....

As for hogs, I feel better about hunting over feeders and do so and at night with red lights.. I got a 45/70 guide gun with a leupold scout scope setup and some handload 405g hardcasts specifically for hogs.. but recently put together a 6.8 SPC with an ACOG on it and loaded hot with Barnes solid copper bullets, 10-20 rounds of hurt in a hurry
Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hunting pigs from blinds in South Texas

Kill as many as you can and as often as you can!! Last Sunday we drilled in about 600lbs of seed for food plots and went back yesterday to put down fertilizer---more freaking hog tracks through the plowed and drilled areas than you could count! Looks like when it gets cooler and we get some rain it will be time for the slaughter to begin.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

I would gladly shoot hogs if I could find a place to go. One thing we don't have much of in Texas is public land. I've got feral hogs within 5 miles of me (south) but they haven't made it to my place yet (thank God). I've been putting the word out to the rice farmers south of here but no luck so far. I would gladly load up 50 .338 Edge rounds and drive wherever for the opportunity to see how the Edge does (and the shooter) at long range. I would also like to see how my Sendero (7mm mag) does on a hog. Paper targets at 300 is getting boring...
Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Gold Member

I have 6000ac in south Texas and run hog hunts after deer season every year to help off set the cost of corn/protein/feeders/blinds and over the last 5 year my hunters and i have killed over 700 hogs And this year I'm over run again. last year we thought we had put a hurting on them there was not to many but i think now it was because we had no rain. but this year with all of the early rain and acorn crop the hog are just as thick as before. We are going to get a chopper and kill the hell out of them on our ranch and ranches around us this year.

We also have a 30,000 and a 98,000ac ranch out in west Texas and they have showed up in some of the lower country and around the water holes on both. you would think the rocks would be hard on them but they are there. We're going to do the same thing out there this year with the chopper when we do our yearly yotes hunt and try to kill them before they get out of control out there to.

But hey they make some great targets i have my feeders from 100yrds out to 2300yrds best thing is i don't fill bad about shooting snap a picture and driving off are have a little fun with a 1.5# or 2 of Tannerite to help CLEAN THEM IT MAKES A FAST JOB OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

How can I get in on this? I'm interested in 1,000 - 1,600 yards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff 300 View Post
I have 6000ac in south Texas and run hog hunts after deer season every year to help off set the cost of corn/protein/feeders/blinds and over the last 5 year my hunters and i have killed over 700 hogs And this year I'm over run again. last year we thought we had put a hurting on them there was not to many but i think now it was because we had no rain. but this year with all of the early rain and acorn crop the hog are just as thick as before. We are going to get a chopper and kill the hell out of them on our ranch and ranches around us this year.

We also have a 30,000 and a 98,000ac ranch out in west Texas and they have showed up in some of the lower country and around the water holes on both. you would think the rocks would be hard on them but they are there. We're going to do the same thing out there this year with the chopper when we do our yearly yotes hunt and try to kill them before they get out of control out there to.

But hey they make some great targets i have my feeders from 100yrds out to 2300yrds best thing is i don't fill bad about shooting snap a picture and driving off are have a little fun with a 1.5# or 2 of Tannerite to help CLEAN THEM IT MAKES A FAST JOB OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6158 View Post
How can I get in on this? I'm interested in 1,000 - 1,600 yards...
I run the hunts after deer season Fri-sunday shoot as many as you can do what you want with them Pm me and i'll give you the details.