Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

How I Use My Optics To Glass An Area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Great writeup GG. Can't wait to try me new Kowa Highlanders for coyotes. If i can't spot 'em with that than i'm probably waisting my time.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:33 PM

Definitely keep the binos still and move your eyes through the field of view, rather than pan the binos. The flick of an ear or tail of a coues, step of a leg, or bobbing head of a woodpecker is really hard to see if the bino is moving. For that reason, even 10x do much better on a tripod, even if one does not have 15x. On a recent coues hunt, I had to always keep from being hasty and panning, and kept telling myself I was looking for a jack rabbit under a bush.

I like to start with the close ridges and slopes, and look for the obvious deer that may be out in the open. Then I will go from left2right, top2bottom in a grid picking apart the details. I usually go from the near slope and then move to the next distant slope. Often, I will go back to a slope again as deer may have moved out from behind a tree.

Draping a dark cloth over the head and binos will block light from the side and make it easier to see detail as well as prevent eye fatigue. Use an eye patch with a spotting scope also.

Sometimes a Crazy Creek chair providing back support is nice for sitting many hours behind the binos, rather than just a foam pad.

Doug~RR
Old 10-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How I Use My Optics To Glass An Area

Thanks a lot for the teaching guys. I have learned a lot from this thread.

Armando
Old 08-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Bronze Member

Great thread with awesome info. Another trick I was taught and learned works through experience is when spending a lot of time behind your spotting scope (especially if it is not one of great quality) is to use your non-shooting eye. This will save your "shootin eye" for doing business when the time comes.

Happy Huntin!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

New to the forum but this is a great thread!

Go on a sheep hunt at least once, join your local sheep society and volunteer to help a hunter that gets drawn. It will change your level of patience and capabilities in amazing ways. I learned more and developed better skills in one season of sheep hunting than pretty much every hunting season prior put together. The old guys in the sheep club had an incredible amount of knowledge more than I ever received from professional guides or others I have hunted with.

Also, i cant say enough about my Swaro 15x56's. Vortex has something for cheaper that is almost comparable a must have in my opinion.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Gold Member

very good thread. lots of good stuff.
ive been using large tripod mounted glasses for about 40 years in my home state of pa.
technique can vary somewhat depending on location and species sought.
i think its very important to just use your eyes to scan the area before serious glassing.
its also a good idea to do that occaisionaly while glassing. take a five minit break and look around.
type and size of optics is another varieable. in pa. most l/r hunters use twin spotters.
one thing that is not varieable is the use of a tripod.
a good solid tripod is absolutly essential for serious glassing regardless of size and type of glasses. monopods just wont cut it.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

Great thread and some very good glassing instruction from GG. I spend a lot of time guiding and hunting elk in southern NM. Much of the area is fairly open, but boy can those elk hide.....

One thing I do that I would like to add: When I set up to glass an area I will make a quick scan of the area I plan to glass..... either with the binos or spotting scope depending on the distance. Then I will start my methodical glassing and slow way down. I have many times spotted elk right off on my "scan". If I had simply started with my slow glassing they may have been gone by the time I got to them, or I may have lost half an hour or more of precious daylight on an evening hunt. So, for me, quick scan, then slow down and get serious.