Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

How I Use My Optics To Glass An Area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Bronze Member

GG

I now have a bushnell ($150) compact nikon ($250) 10 power nikon ($400)2 litlle ones ($50 each) total $900.00. If I would have started with swarovski 15 years ago I would of spent less. I never use the cheaper ones even my wife will grab the swarvo's first because of the quality and clarity. Like you said pay once and cry once don't settle for anything less. Saw a band of sheep tonight about like your pictures near challis tonight. They even have warning lights for them because they cross the road to salmon river for water. there were to many cars to stop and take pictures. IP
Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Bronze Member

Buffalobob
Your absolutly correct! I apoligize. BB or GG When glassing a area how long or how many times do you repeat glassing this area before moving on? If it is morning do you tend to stay longer glassing cause of shadow changes are more frequent as the sun comes up? BB was glassing in the Salmon area quite different than where you are at and how? IP
Old 12-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Today I was glassing Md Whitetail deer at ranges from 800 yards to past 2K. You would think that when there is a good snow background that a deer could not simply vanish but they do. It took me maybe two minutes to get the rifle set up and by then they were gone. There is a lot to learn.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAHO PREACHER View Post
BB or GG When glassing a area how long or how many times do you repeat glassing this area before moving on? If it is morning do you tend to stay longer glassing cause of shadow changes are more frequent as the sun comes up? BB was glassing in the Salmon area quite different than where you are at and how? IP

I look at the same areas of high probability many, many times until I'm convinced there are no animals. This may take an hour or all day. But if I'm going to move to a new area to glass, I try not to move until the morning "commute" is over. Usually around 10:00 a.m. The middle of the day is the best time to stop glassing if you're going to re-locate.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

This is a great thread and the most important part of hunting. Hunters who are succesful year in and year out know how to glass. If you can't find it you can't shoot it I don't care what kind of rifle you got. Unfortunately most hunters are way lax in this area. I have hunted right behind groups of hunters many times and taken great animals right behind them because they were not good glassers. Just this year two guys came through the basin we were camped in for elk. They hunted all day and left disgusted that they were seeing sign but the elk must have left the country and they were headed for home. During the day in the same basin I watched those guys all day looking and spotted 50-60 elk scattered around the slopes of that basin. I knew where to look, how to look and the discipline to keep looking because I knew they were there.

One very important thing. Keep your glasses perfectly still while searching out every square inch of space inside your field of view until you are certain nothing is abnormal in that field before moving on. Then pick another likely spot and continue the process. You have to know how to let the glass become an extended part of your body and a part of your eyes and this is much easier said than done. People who are excellent glassers know what I mean. But you just get in the zone is the best way I can describe it. The only thing on your mind is complete concentration on your target area and you just become a part of that area with complete feel of anything that moves or is abnormal about the area. I have spotted bark falling off a tree from a woodpecker at 1000 yards then found the woodpecker. That is being in the zone. If it is there and your in the zone you will spot it. I have looked at a spot for extended periods because it just wasn't right but nothing definable was there until the sun got right and the slightest movement revealed the shiny nose or antler of a monster. Also as stated earlier if you are not spotting numerous trophy rocks/logs you are not glassing properly. If you are not seeing individual twigs, grass clumps etc. you are not glassing properly.

Through the years many times I was underglassed compared to many of the people I hunted with. However I was a better glasser and spotted way more game than people with much better glass. Better glass is better, but better glassing skills is best.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Keep your glasses perfectly still
That is something important and I learned it the hard way this year.

I use a monopod with my binoculars to help keep them steady and try to be sitting down so I am steady.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

I like to rest my binos on top of my spotter. I have a nice fluid head for filming on my tripod. The extra stability is amazing. Then, when I spot something to check out my scope is almost on it allready.