Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

How to hunt wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Bronze Member

Re: How to hunt wolves?

That last post was brilliant!! That's the way to do it!! I'll copy that!!

Sad to read about the problems you have with wolves in Montana, and other states.

We experience the same thing with Moose in Norway/Sweden. City folks like to keep the wolves so we get a rich environment! Rich in wolves that is!!

The penalties for shooting a Wolf is worse than beating up your neighbour or wife - understand it if you can... Hell, if you near killed them in affect you probably wouldn't be left much worse...:(
Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Ya'll seem to be forgetting that the Woof's heart is a bit low, just behind the last rib.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM

i have been told that if you have a few dogs get there pee and put it around a kill site as this will pull them in as they will want to mark over it ,i was told that this was a good way of taking them
Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 AM
Gold Member

If you really want to get rid of wolves hunting is not going to do much. Take a Coyote live or dead with mange into a wolf denning area and let nature do the rest. That is what Delta waterfowl did here in ND under the table to get rid of fox so they would not eat duck eggs. A friend of mine pointed that out when he brought up they were running newspaper ads paying money for live fox and coyote pups in the late 80's and early 90's why else would they want the pups? Then all of a sudden ND had a bad mange outbreak and the fox population went to almost nothing. I used to see 20 to 30 fox a day average out hunting them. Now I see about 3 fox a year and I don't even bother trying to shoot one. Grizzly's should also be on the hunting list they are tough on elk calves to.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakor View Post
If you really want to get rid of wolves hunting is not going to do much. Take a Coyote live or dead with mange into a wolf denning area and let nature do the rest. That is what Delta waterfowl did here in ND under the table to get rid of fox so they would not eat duck eggs. A friend of mine pointed that out when he brought up they were running newspaper ads paying money for live fox and coyote pups in the late 80's and early 90's why else would they want the pups? Then all of a sudden ND had a bad mange outbreak and the fox population went to almost nothing. I used to see 20 to 30 fox a day average out hunting them. Now I see about 3 fox a year and I don't even bother trying to shoot one. Grizzly's should also be on the hunting list they are tough on elk calves to.
Mange and Parvo has already gone through the wolves, coyote and fox here. It wiped out our fox population made a minor dent in the coyotes and hardly did a thing to the wolves.
Live fox and coyotes were really good prices back then because guys from the east would pay top dollar for them to take back then run them with grey hound, no conspiracy!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Gold Member

Oh there is a conspiracy. I know a land owner that had been contacted many times by delta waterfowl to come and remove predators from his land since he owns some really high quality waterfowl property. They offered a free trapping service and wanted to do all kinds of nest surveys and drove unmarked pickups. Delta waterfowl also ran ads here in ND for fox and coyote pups to buy them like I said. In the early 1990's fox prices were not worth anything by that time fur prices fell out in the middle 80's so they were doing something with them besides fur trading I know that much. Then out of nowhere the mange came and it came hard and killed all the fox and magically the delta waterfowl guys disappeared even with land owners that were allowing the trapping the guys just vanished? Hmm it must have been a coincident. Anyway enough about that but mange is about the best cure for the problem of wolves.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakor View Post
Oh there is a conspiracy. I know a land owner that had been contacted many times by delta waterfowl to come and remove predators from his land since he owns some really high quality waterfowl property. They offered a free trapping service and wanted to do all kinds of nest surveys and drove unmarked pickups. Delta waterfowl also ran ads here in ND for fox and coyote pups to buy them like I said. In the early 1990's fox prices were not worth anything by that time fur prices fell out in the middle 80's so they were doing something with them besides fur trading I know that much. Then out of nowhere the mange came and it came hard and killed all the fox and magically the delta waterfowl guys disappeared even with land owners that were allowing the trapping the guys just vanished? Hmm it must have been a coincident. Anyway enough about that but mange is about the best cure for the problem of wolves.
I was getting 85 for fox and 100 for coyotes live during that time and fur was about a 1/4 that price, getting pups is more profitable for various reasons. The mange went through the whole west, trust me everything got hit hard!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"