Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

How to hunt wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: How to hunt wolves?

bigngreen, I have a backhoe, but if you use solid bullets and they happen to run off then you don't have to worry about a shovel. We are getting Idahos 'extra' wolves now in Eastern Oregon and that's where the 3 S's came in.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

1/2 Slam, i agree moraly with what your doing. but admitting to a crime in words on the internet on a public forum.... not to smart. But if you don't get caught, high five, i would do the same thing.

-Oliver
Old 02-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

Oliver,
I appreciate your concern but you are reading between the lines. By the way did you ever find any youth hunts to apply for?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Gold Member

Not really. The problem is My time off school doesn't agree with the hunting seasons too well. I have one or two weeks off in November so there's only a few I could even apply for. Then there's the fact that i don't have anyone to hunt with. My dad goes with me so we can talk and so, but hunting isn't so much his thing... Yet... Still working on that.

Do you know if I can travel and hunt alone with a firearm? From a legal point of view? I think I'll make another thread because I don't want to hijack this one.

Maybe I was reading between the lines, but "shoot, shovel, shudup"... Ah well, your probably right..

-Oliver
Old 09-09-2010, 04:08 AM

You need a lot of patience and experience to hunt wolves. I suggest that beginners stay away because they'll just be frustrated.

I think it's allowed in Canada to bait wolves so that's a way to hunt them. For other areas, you can call them like how you would call 'yotes. I suggest a dying rabbit or elk call.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Hi guys,
I was out elk hunting in bow season this year in alberta canada, and had a pack show up. I seen them exit the timberline and come into the large open cutblock I was in. I immediately holed up behing a large downed stump and dropped my backpack and grabbed a couple more shells of buckshot for my defender. I then glanced over the stump to see where they were.... thinkin that they would be coming in slow like a coyote. I was very wrong the one was within 80 yards of me. Which means that in about 30 seconds that wolf moved over 600yards.... he must have seen me glance over the stump and got weary so I let a blast of buckshot go at him. But missed as 80yards was too far for my buckshot..... I will be gettin a snowmobile for this winter and taking some of them lil bastards out hahaha
Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 AM

oh and our elk numbers and deer,moose numbers are down in alot of areas due to wolfs.....