Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

How to Hunt Antelope at long Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: How to Hunt Antelope at long Range

I really enjoy antelope hunting every year as well. Don't pass up hunting in western South Dakota. You can get an any and doe tag for about $250 or two doe tags for less than $100 as a non-resident. There's still two more drawings for this year. I think it's 8/31 and 9/13. Could be wrong on the dates. There are a lot of public and walk-in areas in Units 15B and 49A. Also SD GF&P has the entire 2010 hunting atlas available as a GPS download for free, We have two seasons. First one this year is October 2nd to the 10th and the second one is October 9th to the 17th. FYI

Bob
Old 10-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

Our first South Dakota season opened Saturday. 4 of us had double tags. We had 7 antelope on the ground by 8:30. We got the 8th one that afternoon. They are really thick this year. Our second season opens next Saturday. There are still tags available for the second season. I just bought 2 more tags for $25. I took this little guy just after first light from the top of the hay stack just over my left shoulder, 477 yards. .260AI 140gr A-Max at 2918 fps. Dropped at the shot and never moved.

Last edited by Bobcape; 10-24-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 PM

Got my first antelope this year. 14" in north east Montana. I am partner in camp there. Our neighbor and friend helped me, I used his rifle 7mm WST and he set the scope. 490 yards....I am from Mississippi, the only place you could shoot 490 yards is on the interstate. LOL 61 years old and hooked on LR hunting.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Gold Member

this is a very good read in my opinion. i am especially thankful to buffalobob
for his frankness on the subject of long shooting.
wind drift and hits on wrong animals is a reality rarly talked about even in private conversations.

to date i have taken 3 buck antelope. the first about 20 years ago near huellete wy.
it was a 14 1/2 incher, and was taken at about 100 yds with a 7 rem mag.

this year i took an extended trip west in my pickup camper and towed my bright yellow jeep.
i had an antelope permit for s.e. montana.

i had decided prior to the trip to stop in gillette wy. and meet ernie bishop, long range pistol guru, and chuck macintosh of mac's gunworks in gillette.

that decision turned out to be the hilite of the trip.
what i thought would be an hour or 2 visit, turned out to last 4 days.
both ernie and chuck are about as friendly guys you will ever meet.
chuck suggested i hang around for a few days till the antelope season opened.
he took me to town and got me a leftover tag for that area.
a couple days later he put me on a nice buck which i killed at 290 yds.
that evening we had the backstraps for dinner at his house.
i had shot at the same buck at almost 500 yds but even with my 6.5 wsm
i didnt hold enough for wind.
a few weeks later i shot another nice buck at 410 yds on a private ranch near
brodus mt.
while there i spent 5 days hunting prairie dogs.
one day on a remote area of the ranch hunting a dog town i had a unique experience.
i was sitting at my bench next to my bright yellow jeep on a small hill looking downward into a large dog town.
suddenly i noticed a movement off to my left.
over a hill at about 1000 yds came a herd of antelope. i counted them twice and there were 40 of them.
they came to within 400 yds before stopping. they just milled around there for about an hour. some even layed down.
not at all concerned about me or the jeep.
i finally ran them off by shooting at a prairie dog.
probably as bob said, private land was the key here.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 AM

i have shot 2 antelope 13.5 and 14.5 with a 30-06 165gr both under 2 hundred yards. there a lot of fun to hunt i also hunted them with a bow and arrow and decoy home made. 4 shots and 4 clean misses in 4 days it takes about 5 years to get a draw in Alberta so you don't get to hunt these animals very often but it is great fun .
Old 08-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Bronze Member

Im trying to plan a trip for a friend and myself for nest years season. My question is how do you go about deciding what area to apply for and which private land to try and get permission for? Also is it possible to get a buck and doe tags? any other info is greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

There is a companion thread that answers your questions. It might need to be updated a little bit here or there, but it is still relevant.

How to go Antelope Hunting

What you should do right now is buy some preference points for next year.