Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

First time elk hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM

First time elk hunter

Greetings every one,

My wife and are going to take our first elk hunt. She has never hunted before, I have hunted a lot (mostly small game/birds). We are both good shooters and camp often, I just need the hunting side of it.

We are going to try for a spike elk and a cow of the 2013 year. I am looking for some decent areas, nothing extreme. I want an area I can get familiar with over the summer and scout. also I need some luring technique. Gear/ packing list tips..... Anything a first timer should know.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: First time elk hunter

Will your 2013 hunt be in Utah in the fall of 2013? If so then there are a lot of Utah hunters that will probably chime in.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:11 AM

yes fall of 2013 in utah, I have heard manti area is good or the uintas are good spots over the summer I will get familiar with my area and spot elk find their habits, bedding locations......ect
Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 AM

Utah and Colorado are the best places for hunting Elk. You have chosen the right season for hunting. Wish you & your wife to enjoy your exotic game hunting and get success in it.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshp689 View Post
Greetings every one,

We are going to try for a spike elk and a cow of the 2013 year.
I am curious why you are automatically limiting yourself to "a spike elk" before you go hunting?
Just curious if you would pass up a huge Bull with a huge rack and wait for a spike to come along?
No disregard intended but, I just find it interesting that you have limited yourself before you even get out in to the field.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Owl Mirror View Post
I am curious why you are automatically limiting yourself to "a spike elk" before you go hunting?
Just curious if you would pass up a huge Bull with a huge rack and wait for a spike to come along?
No disregard intended but, I just find it interesting that you have limited yourself before you even get out in to the field.

Because in UT a spike tag is about all your guranteed to get without having a ton of PP.

I have been on the general UT hunt for the last 5 years and have killed 2 bulls one of which was a spike. Not the best of odds there.

I am not to far from you PM me and I will be willing to help you any way that I can.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarheadhunter View Post
Because in UT a spike tag is about all your guaranteed to get without having a ton of PP.

I have been on the general UT hunt for the last 5 years and have killed 2 bulls one of which was a spike. Not the best of odds there.

I am not to far from you PM me and I will be willing to help you any way that I can.
Well, as you can tell by my question I know absolutely nothing ;>}
I've never even had a hunting license before ! I guess I'll find out more when I go to buy a hunting license this year. Sent PM, thanks for the offer