Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Fact or Myth of Moose pushing out Elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 AM

Re: Fact or Myth of Moose pushing out Elk?

Here in BC, Canada, we have a ton of overlapping moose and elk ranges. Most of the North-West quarter of the province has a ton of both animals.

Elk seem to like climbing mountains a lot more than moose do from what I know.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
they are hell on the buffalo herd......
Thats either one HUGE moose, or one small ass buffalo, well, guess no small ass anymore!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:12 PM

Lots of moose in the area I was elk hunting this week. Moose were up much higher than normal as well. Elk were still around.

Did hear from a buddy whose dad arrowed an elk a few weeks back that went 40 yards and layed down only to get run off by a bull moose.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smchop View Post
I have only hunted a few seasons of Elk here in Colorado. I have heard it multiple times that Moose in an area will generally mean no elk in the area. Any truth to that? Where I hunted last week, I could have tagged out 10x over on moose, lots of fresh elk sign, but no elk in the area. So will elk be pushed out of an area by moose? Thanks.
Untrue....They eat 2 different food types. One is a browser and other is a grazer
Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Untrue....They eat 2 different food types. One is a browser and other is a grazer
Elk will do a little browsing also, especially in the winter if they don't have access to hay and I've also seen moose eating greens, grass and leafy plants, but generally they occupy two different niches.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thats either one HUGE moose, or one small ass buffalo, well, guess no small ass anymore!
It's a statue of a buffalo.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I have only hunted a few seasons of Elk here in Colorado. I have heard it multiple times that Moose in an area will generally mean no elk in the area. Any truth to that? Where I hunted last week, I could have tagged out 10x over on moose, lots of fresh elk sign, but no elk in the area. So will elk be pushed out of an area by moose? Thanks.
I moved to Co 1977 and 1978 they release first moose over by Rand, Co (North Park) got them from Montana.

I've been hunting around North /South Park since 1977 also fishing and been a big increase in Moose range . As that herd increased and branching out the rumors started about them pushing the elk out and now their range extends for unit 6 Co/Wy border down to 751 Co/NM border.

2012 they issued 99 bull tags and 110 cow tags for all those 39 units and those tags cover archery,ML and rifle season so their is very little hunting pressure if any vs elk hunting.

I hunted South Park archery bull elk no luck seen them and hunted North Park rifle cow tag 3rd season filled that tag and some pretty nice bulls taken mostly local's hunting there.