Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Ethical long range shots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktaylor View Post
Seems like there is a considerably better chance of making a good shot on an animal bedded down and much more risk if the animal is on its feet and can move as the trigger breaks. Is a shot ethical on a standing animal which is moving frequently? What about an animal on the edge of thick growth, where a followup shot would not be possible and the animal might not show immediate signs of being hit. Would that increase the risk? It seems to me the answer would be to pass up such opportunities but I am not experienced at long range shooting and would like to hear from those who are.
I think a lot is being missed here. It's not so much a matter of how good a shot you are thats up to you to know. It's more about knowing what you are doing and experience. If I am by myself I will take a longer shot on a bedded animal than a standing animal. For the reasonds you stated. I shoot a lot of deer and know their habits and take longer shot on feeding deer. When it comes time to go long on a standing deer all I am doing is shooting a target, It's the spotters call when to send it. he or she has to read the animal and let you know. Your concentration should be on shooting. Try doing it all by yourself and there's a better chance of problems.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

Would it be a safe assumption that most here do not shoot longer (or much longer) on game than they have practiced on paper? I don't want to go down the "ethics" road, I am just curious where folks stand for themselves.

For example, I can and have practiced to where I am very comfortable out to about 500 yards prone and about 300 yards seated off of shooting sticks. My range only goes to 500 so as it stands thats the limit for me. I might take a shot a little further in good conditions but not much. The gun has accuracy to spare at 500 so thats not an issue.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Lightvarmint

When deciding to shoot or not, common sense should be applied to the situation. For me, I zero at 400 yards and hold for everything else.

James
Old 07-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
Would it be a safe assumption that most here do not shoot longer (or much longer) on game than they have practiced on paper? I don't want to go down the "ethics" road, I am just curious where folks stand for themselves.

For example, I can and have practiced to where I am very comfortable out to about 500 yards prone and about 300 yards seated off of shooting sticks. My range only goes to 500 so as it stands thats the limit for me. I might take a shot a little further in good conditions but not much. The gun has accuracy to spare at 500 so thats not an issue.
I won't try to speak for others, but I practice further than I hunt, at least for big game. I don't mind hitting a piece of paper too far one way or another, nor missing the occasional woodchuck, but I REALLY don't want to wound a deer. I make every effort to practice further and under as bad or worse weather condition than what I plan to hunt. That gives me more confidence that I won't do something stupid when the pressure is on.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post
I think a lot is being missed here. It's not so much a matter of how good a shot you are thats up to you to know. It's more about knowing what you are doing and experience. If I am by myself I will take a longer shot on a bedded animal than a standing animal. For the reasonds you stated. I shoot a lot of deer and know their habits and take longer shot on feeding deer. When it comes time to go long on a standing deer all I am doing is shooting a target, It's the spotters call when to send it. he or she has to read the animal and let you know. Your concentration should be on shooting. Try doing it all by yourself and there's a better chance of problems.
Rimfire is spot on....
Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

I practice significantly farther than ranges I intend to hunt at. I want my hunting shots to be very high percentage shots.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Gold Member

I try to shoot every week at 1K, I'm not quite satisfied with those results but would take a 1K shot on a deer if conditions were right. I very seldom have a spotter, so it takes me at times 5-6 min to get the shot off, most of that time is spent watching the deer in the scope, just studying its body language to see if there is a 1/2-3/4 second window when the deer is not moving. if I think a shot is possible I range one last time, verify my scope settings and settle in for the shot. Yes I miss one now and then, but by nature of deer when shot at LR, they don't bolt from the report of the rifle, so with the one poor hit I made out of 23 deer from 400-822 yards just walked a few steps and lay down. 2 seconds later I sent another accubond through her head at just over 600 yards. If my first shot is a miss, no other shots are taken, I put the best effort into the first shot if I fail, the next shot would not be any better. Immediately recheck everything and try to find out what caused the miss, and try not to make the mistake again.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 07-27-2008 at 08:33 AM.