Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Elk call

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Elk call

I have a different take. Last year I played with a cow for about 20 minutes during archery season. I could have reached out and touched her a couple of times. I still can't understand how she didn't wind me since she circled multiple times. Cows can definitely be called in during the right conditions.
Anyways, I like a combination of diaphragm and external calls. If you listen to a herd, they all make different sounds so I think its important to be proficient at different calls. In fact, one of my guides sat with me last weekend and listened to a herd on my ranch. We discussed all of the different sounds they made and the importance of being able to make those different sounds.
Make sure you are comfortable with a diaphragm because you may need to have the call in your mouth to stop the cow, and be able to immediately shoot. The external calls are more cumbersome and tend to get in the way when you need to take a shot.
Different calls work for different people. Buy a few and decide what you like the best. It also depends on the shape and depth of your palate, etc. Again, try a few and decide.
Good luck.
970-729-2571
dan@rockingrhunting.com
Old 07-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

I usually use a belted magnum to call them to my freezer. it does sometimes take some practice.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

If you want a really simple call to use, get a hoochie mama (I might have spelled it incorrectly). They cost around $25 and work rather well. I use them to locate herds and then sneak up close enough to the herd to shoot. I do not actually call in cows with them, although cows and bulls have both come in. In the rut, bulls loose their minds.

I have hunted CO only in the second season and 3-4 times the rut has still been going really good. Bulls would come running in and cows were mostly indifferent. It seems the call really works well for cows that are alone or in distress.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
If you want a really simple call to use, get a hoochie mama (I might have spelled it incorrectly). They cost around $25 and work rather well. I use them to locate herds and then sneak up close enough to the herd to shoot. I do not actually call in cows with them, although cows and bulls have both come in. In the rut, bulls loose their minds.

I have hunted CO only in the second season and 3-4 times the rut has still been going really good. Bulls would come running in and cows were mostly indifferent. It seems the call really works well for cows that are alone or in distress.
I agree. This is the best non diaphragm call I have ever seen and used. Have only used them during bow season though. You can put it in your front pocket and secure to your belt with the string. Using the call while in your pocket gives this wonderful muffled cow/calf sound. I have seen it turn a lead cow before and bring the herd of 6 or so cows right past my brother.

I have a few of them and pass them out to new guys when they hunt with us. Almost anyone can get the hang of it in a few minutes.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Gold Member

I also agree that the hoochie mama is a great call. And also good to hear that some of you guys have had luck calling in cows.

Last year I got into a herd of elk in the dark timber, and there was a cow that sounded EXACTLY like a hunter using a hoochie mama. It was so similar that I thought we were waking into another group of hunters. Nope. it was a herd of about 40 elk.

I usually use a mouth reed and carry the hoochie mama in my pocket so I can do either call I want. But for guys that are new to calling or don't use mouth reeds, it's tough to beat the hoochie mama.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
I also agree that the hoochie mama is a great call. And also good to hear that some of you guys have had luck calling in cows.

Last year I got into a herd of elk in the dark timber, and there was a cow that sounded EXACTLY like a hunter using a hoochie mama. It was so similar that I thought we were waking into another group of hunters. Nope. it was a herd of about 40 elk.

I usually use a mouth reed and carry the hoochie mama in my pocket so I can do either call I want. But for guys that are new to calling or don't use mouth reeds, it's tough to beat the hoochie mama.
I've called in my share of hunters with the hoochie mama too.

When it comes to calling in a bull during the rut, I use a diaphragm call. I can manipulate the call much more than with just a hoochie mama push button. Some people have a really hard time using a diaphragm call. They are really easy for me to use.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM

Thanks again for all your replys Jay