Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Elk call

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 08:22 AM

Elk call

I drew a cow elk tag this year 1st gun season in Colorado. Can anyone tell me what to use to call cow elks?Thanks Jay
Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

Re: Elk call

After quite a few years of elk hunting, my experience is that cows will not come in to a call, and will actually push them out of the area. Maybe there are other people who have had luck calling them in, but I have not. I just keep quite and put myself in a spot where I knows cows are going to cross and focus on staying downwind. A call can be useful to just get a cow to stop and look at you, but once that brief pause is over, they're going to move in a different direction.

I also drew a 1st season rifle cow tag. At least where I hunt, the elk are still going to be in the rut. So I will call only to locate the herd. Once I get close (with a cow tag) I just keep quite.

Time after time, whether with a bugle or a cow call, I've called in bulls, and watched the cows with their ears back in caution with no interest in getting closer to the call. Again, this is just my experience.
Borden Timberline 300 Win Mag - Hart 26" #4 fluted - McMillan A3 Edge - Jewell Trigger - ATACR
Old 07-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

Jay, pretty much what Timber338 said, but I once turned some cows toward me after they were spooked by a pickup using two very short chirps. The ran straight at me but I always sit still and wait them otherwise. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 PM

Thanks for your helpJay
Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Bronze Member

A good number of years ago (20 plus) we had some luck calling cows in. Or at least cows came in while we were calling. Usually we were either working on a bull or trying to locate and have had cows come in. Now it seems like we have trouble calling in anything. Will hear a bull bugling and when we try and work him he just moves off. Believe the elk are getting call shy. My son believes we have killed off the more aggressive bulls that will respond to calls and the elk that are left are the less aggressive that tend to move off. As stated above a call might stand a pretty good chance of stopping the elk for a brief period of time. Make sure you're ready to take the shot, because they probably aren't going to stay around very long. Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

Go and listen to them talk for a while. In your arsenal of calls make sure you have a calf. I have seen bulls come to that call also.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowinchester View Post
Go and listen to them talk for a while. In your arsenal of calls make sure you have a calf. I have seen bulls come to that call also.
The only time I've "called in" a cow was when a lost calf was coincidentally about 20 yards behind me, and the mamma cow was up on a ridge looking for the calf. The calf called a couple of times and mamma answered, then both stopped. I was hoping the calf would keep calling, but did not. After about 15 minutes I called a few times trying to sound like the calf and the cow came running down the hill looking for it. I had a bull tag, and luckily a rutting bull chased after the cow and both ended up right in front of me, and the 338 went to work.
Borden Timberline 300 Win Mag - Hart 26" #4 fluted - McMillan A3 Edge - Jewell Trigger - ATACR