Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Black Bear hunting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: Black Bear hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
Well i handed my moose tag into the draw a few weeks back and i know our party has a pretty good chance at at least one tag and possibly more. I honestly cant wait even though im months a head of myself. I went out and bought a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm, im trying to work up some loads right now, im saving for a good scope. I have a Bushnell something on it right now and im looking at a Nikon, or Leupold. I would want a Zeiss but cant afford it. I just cant wait
I have some beautiful 180 gr loads for the Browning 300 WSM. Let me know if you would like me to share them with you.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Bronze Member

Bear is my favourite critter to hunt.Took my 20th to date this spring. I have tried a pile of baits from the crazy to the simple.Simple is best. Fresh not rotten beavers or pork fat to get a bait started(First baiting) once it is active rolled barley with molasses for the rest of the season. You can get your local feed store to mix this up. Just make it extra sweet.Simple, no smell, maggots or dirty truck boxes,lol.I posted my bear hunt from this spring on here and it was all about the rolled barley on this hunt.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Gold Member

brentc,

I would very much appreciate it if you would share some good 180 grain loads.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfdoc View Post
Bear is my favourite critter to hunt.Took my 20th to date this spring. I have tried a pile of baits from the crazy to the simple.Simple is best. Fresh not rotten beavers or pork fat to get a bait started(First baiting) once it is active rolled barley with molasses for the rest of the season. You can get your local feed store to mix this up. Just make it extra sweet.Simple, no smell, maggots or dirty truck boxes,lol.I posted my bear hunt from this spring on here and it was all about the rolled barley on this hunt.
I have heard that the beaver because of his already bad sent is hard to beat by some of the
guys I know as long as baiting is legal.

Carry some granola bars with you for bear deserts. (I know first hand that they will attract
bears).

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 07-02-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Bronze Member

I heard of using some fish oil to spread around the bait stand. The intent is that as the critters come and check out and feed they get the oil on their paws and track it around and hopefully will lead in other bears. I haven't tried it but it would be worth a shot.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 PM
SPONSOR

yup.... pour KFC fryer grease on the ground or over the bait and let it soak around...

bears love it and carry the scent away. trail back to bait for other bears.

It works !
Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Bronze Member

Where legal marshmellos. I have not seen a bear pass these up.
If you cannot bait things to look for in the fall. We hunt blackberries and blue berries in Sept. Then the beech ridges that are near those blackberry patches. Starting up high. This is the most common tactics for the guys that don't run dogs here in Vt NH and Me. Like deer most feed low and bed high take the time to find the food and you will find the tracks of your quarry. Once you locate a decent track look take a topo and a drafting compass make 5 circles that span 1.5 miles on the map's scale with one being the center at the track's location, then eastern edge western edge northern and southern. If you can find the bears track in another area of the circles. Or better follow it you have a great chance of figuring out ambush/choke points in those areas of your topo.
This will go along way for both prevailing winds for that area and when you have a pressure change causing wind direction change. If it's a dominant bear it will have the best security wise area in those circles a lesser bear or female will have the fringe areas of the best area in order of dominance